Skip to main content

Help help help cisco routing

More
16 years 11 months ago #23478 by vitamin
In a nutshell I need to route traffic between 192.168.1x and 192.168.2.x they are physically in the same building place etc.

I would need to do this using a Cisco 2600 series router right?

If so can someone please give me some advice on the setup etc and exact equipment I would need to buy.

Sam
More
16 years 11 months ago #23479 by toddwoo
What to buy is real real real (reel) tricky. Need to know how many devices your are using on each network, what kind of network (ethernet, fast ethernet, gigabit ethernet?) How much communication between networks there is. Depending on what you require between them you could spend as little as $50 or as much as $5000.

Ok we will have to start with some assumptions. And we will be working with the simplest solution, the most basic config possible. More info on what you have currently would be needed to go farther.

Assumptions:
You have 5 people on each network that do not need to communicate much or often.
You have 2 switches, one for each network.
You have or will have a 2600 series or better router with 2 Ethernet ports.
You are only running ethernet (10baseT)

Connect each Ethernet interface on the router to the switch for each network, using a plain old ethernet cable. Interface e/0 to the switch running the 192.168.1.0 network, and e/1 to the 192.168.2.0 switch. Once connected you need to configure the router interfaces. (example below) Once the configuration is complete you will need to change the default gateway on each network to point to the ip address of the newly added router interface. So on 192.168.1.0 those machines need to have there default gateway set to 192.168.1.254, and the other network needs its machines default gateway set to 192.168.2.254. Once thats done they should be able to communicate.

EXAMPLE
Router>

Router>enable

Router#config t

Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.

Router(config)#int e/0

Router(config-if)#ip address 192.168.1.254 255.255.255.0

Router(config-if)#no shutdown

Router(config-if)#exit

Router#
Repeat using the next ethernet interface and the next IP add
More
16 years 11 months ago #23486 by skepticals
I agree with Toddwoo, we need more information. There are endless solutions. You could even use a computer to route traffice. Not that you would want to.
More
16 years 11 months ago #23527 by vitamin
I have done the above... I can ping each of my gateways at each end of the network however I cannot ping computers sitting behind each of these gateways..... do I need to asign routes?
More
16 years 11 months ago #23528 by skepticals
Can you post your config?
More
16 years 11 months ago #23530 by vitamin
indeed I can....Whats the easiest way to retrieve all my config?
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds