Skip to main content

ipcop web proxy setup

More
17 years 10 months ago #17998 by DCHSFIREWALL
alright I am having a breakthrough! I can access a web page by entering the ip address, but i cannot access it by entering the domain name. There is some error that occurs when the proxy is on. What could it be? any help? thanks
More
17 years 10 months ago #18021 by DaLight
Replied by DaLight on topic Re: ipcop web proxy setup
I know what your problem is. When the proxy service is turned on, your IPCOP provides DNS lookup services for all web requests. Your problem is with the DNS settings which you entered while setting up your IPCOP. Log into your IPCOP console and rerun the setup program to check your DNS settings.
More
17 years 10 months ago #18042 by DCHSFIREWALL
awesome thanks so much! I am at home right now, but when I get to school tomorrow I will try it thanks thanks thanks
More
17 years 9 months ago #18764 by deste
Replied by deste on topic please, help if you can!
I folks. I think I've got similar problems with my IPCop at work. I had installaled IPCop about 6 months later.

Let me give you some informations:
- IPCop 1.4.11
- Advanced Proxy 2.0.0 addon
- URLfilter 1.8.1 addon
- Update Accelerator 1.0.0 addon
- BlockOutTraffic 2.3.1 addon
- Proxy (in transparent mode) activated.

On my lan PC's i don't set any proxy informations. In BlockOutTraffic i set 2 groups: Admins and Clients. Admins have full lan-wan access, Clients have only access to proxy on IPCop.
All works fine for this 6 months and I'm happy. ;-)

But yesterday something go wrong! :-(
I can't access to Internet from any PC of my LAN.
I've got also 2 others way to go in Internet with the same ADSL, so I can test that there isn't any problems with ADSL line and DNS.
I try to disable proxy and all restart working fine in my lan.
Then I access to IPCop shell and try to change DNS, nothings change.
I try to ping some Internet hosts... With numeric IP address I haven't got any problems, but DNS cannot resolve host name when I try to ping it.

The only thing I can try is to re-install IPCop... (NOOOO!!!!)... So, please... Somebody can help me??? I will love you all. :pPpp

ByeZ_
deste
More
17 years 9 months ago #18777 by DaLight
Replied by DaLight on topic Re: ipcop web proxy setup
As you have deduced, it's probably a DNS issue. It may be that your ISP has changed its DNS servers. You mentioned that machines plugged directly into your ADSL router work OK. Are those machines acquiring their DNS settings by DHCP?

I would advise that you confirm that your ISP's DNS settings match exactly with those in your IPCOP. Can you post your /var/ipcop/ethernet/settings file?
More
17 years 9 months ago #18791 by deste
Replied by deste on topic ...now it's ok!

As you have deduced, it's probably a DNS issue. It may be that your ISP has changed its DNS servers.

Yes DaLight... You have seen right!
Now I've resolved my problems: it's only realy a DNS problem. I had try, yesterday, to set a lot of different italian's DNS, but now my ISP is telling me about last 2 days hackers' attack to DNS servers!!! My ISP give me an affidable DNS address: now it's all ok. :-)
Today I hate hackers and DNS.

You mentioned that machines plugged directly into your ADSL router work OK. Are those machines acquiring their DNS settings by DHCP?

It's true. I have a DHCP server (on my win2003 company's server): it has got a list of different DNS that release to client. If I disable proxy on IPCop, all works fine 'cause every PC resolve DNS with DHCP's DNS assigned... But if I activate proxy IPCop resolve by itself host address.

Thanks for your help!

Byez.
deste
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds