Skip to main content

Outlook 2003 & 2007 Notification Issue

More
17 years 7 months ago #19969 by TheBishop
And it still doesn't work?
Hmm. I've turned it on in my Outlook here to have a play...
More
17 years 7 months ago #19976 by Lindows
Replied by Lindows on topic Hello
Trying going to Administrative tools, and check your services. check and make sure the windows sound driver is on.
More
17 years 7 months ago #19978 by sose
Sorry zippy for misunderstanding u. I am bit sensitive with monetary issue s becos I studied economics. now I know it is a joke , but nevertheless I would have still sued u if I made it work and u refuse to pay. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I remain
sose

We are africans and we are networkers
Africa is sweet
More
17 years 7 months ago #19982 by ZiPPy
Sose,

I don't think a post on a forum stating, "I will pay you" will hold up in any court system. So you can sue away!! :lol:

Cheers,

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
More
16 years 5 months ago #25630 by atxgiant
Replied by atxgiant on topic Did anyone find a Fix
Did anyone ever find a fix for this?
This is the problem I am having.

ALL SETTINGS IN the control panel in Sounds and Audio devices are correct (please don't tell me about this again, this is all I have found for answers and it is not the problem). If the person just happens to get a sound when an email shows up it is just the beep from the PC speaker. Did I say that the settings in control panel in Sounds and Audio devices are correct.

When I log out of the workstation and login as myself and send myself and email it works fine just as this one user and she is being
a real pain about it and she is telling everyone else about this problem and now I am getting a bunch of people that did not relize that this was a problem coming up to me and saying, "Hey is there something wrong with the computers I only get a beep when my email shows up too". I have been unable to find a fix for this so if anyone has any ideas besides going into control panel in Sounds and Audio devices. Could you please let me know.

Thanks

ATXGiant
More
16 years 5 months ago #25634 by KiLLaBeE
Replied by KiLLaBeE on topic Re: Did anyone find a Fix

....she is being a real pain about it and she is telling everyone else about this problem and now I am getting a bunch of people that did not relize that this was a problem coming up to me and saying, "Hey is there something wrong with the computers I only get a beep when my email shows up too".

LOL...gotta love end users.

Tell them that Outlook is working as designed, that this is not a bug or defect but rather a feature found in very rare versions of Outlook in very rare instances.

All jokes aside, I don't think anyone found a fix (unless ZiPPy found a fix and moved on)....but something that I've found to work magic on Outlook (and that you didn't mention as a troubleshooting step) are Outlook command-line switches. There is no specific command line switch that targets this issue, but trying the below switches may work. Only time I experienced your issue was when the sound card on device manager was disabled, but that obviously isn't the case. Only time I receive emails without receiving a notification sound (granted Outlook configurations are correct) is when an email is filtered. So no, I don't know that these switches will fix the issue, but assuming that you've exhausted all logical troubleshooting steps, it won't hurt to try these. I also don't think that these switches will fix the issue, since the issue is wide spread rather than being specific to a user's computer.

You run these by either going to Start > Run, typing Outlook.exe switch or doing the same but in the command prompt.

Example, if you want to run the first switch, you'd type Outlook.exe /firstrun

/firstrun
Starts Outlook as if it were run for the first time.

/cleanfreebusy
Clears and regenerates free/busy information. This switch can only be used when you are able to connect to your Microsoft Exchange server.

/resetnavpane
Clears and regenerates the Navigation Pane for the current profile. Removes all Shortcuts and Favorite Folders. Has the same effect as deleting profilename.xml in your user directory.

I got these switches from here, in case you want to try the others out (although the others seem irrelevent to this issue: www.outlook-tips.net/howto/commandlines.htm

You also may have already tried this to no avail, but in case you haven't, give it a whirl: www.liv.ac.uk/csd/email/outlook/sendreceive.htm#no_alert_mail

I'd love to learn if any of the above solve the issue...I won't be surprised if this issue is experienced in my workplace sometime in the future.

thanks
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds