Skip to main content

HOW TO MAKE REMOTE DESKTOP CONNECTION IN WINDOWS XP PRO SP2?

More
17 years 9 months ago #18977 by Smurf
The question is to allow access from home to the works machine. Remote Assistance will not help in that case because they are not at work to initiate it.

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
17 years 9 months ago #18983 by sose
sorry, I thought there will be someone at the other end to send a remote invitation
More
17 years 9 months ago #18984 by Rockape
We have a similar situation whereby the Technical Staff have the ability to dial into their PCs to resolve issues. However, we use VPN to resolve this. It is very secure as there are access lists within the VPN routers that are tied down to IP addresses (we paid to have static IP addresses on the remote routers) and user name/passwords.

Once you set this up, it is nice and easy for anyone to use. And although I wasn't involved in the costing stage (ask the bishop for more info) I belive it is relatively cheap.

Rockape
More
17 years 9 months ago #18985 by Smurf
Hi Rockape,

Can ya expand on that a little please ? It doesn't make sense.

Are you saying that to connect to a machine you setup a VPN Connection to it first or that you have a site-to-site VPN setup between the route are the remote location and another VPN device at the main office ? Then you connect through to RDP down the tunnel ?

Cheers

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

More
17 years 9 months ago #18987 by TheBishop
We use a VPN router at the main office(s) and domestic ADSLs at the other end with VPN client software on the support PCs
More
17 years 9 months ago #18988 by Smurf

We use a VPN router at the main office(s) and domestic ADSLs at the other end with VPN client software on the support PCs

How does that work with remote support ? As i understand it, the VPN Client Software will need to initiate the VPN tunnel with the router at the main office(s) which will therefore still not meet the requirements of this thread ?

Unless, from home the Software VPN Client was installed, tunnel through to the main office(s) then get an RDP connection to your works machine. I see, that would make it more secure but you still have the expense of the VPN technology and support.

Much more secure though using IPSec :)

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds