Skip to main content

HOW TO MAKE REMOTE DESKTOP CONNECTION IN WINDOWS XP PRO SP2?

More
17 years 9 months ago #18959 by KASPERSKY
For example, you're hired by a company as a software engineer... n you would like to work from your home itself.
Now you need to see your office computer's desktop from your home PC's desktop.

You have Microsoft Windows XP Pro SP2 at both sides.

You won't have static IP address at home.

Please help to Solve this.
More
17 years 9 months ago #18961 by FallenZer0
PC wth a Internet routable address, Public Network, Perimeter, Internal Network. That should give you some ideas how you can get to your organizations network.

-There Is A Foolish Corner In The Brain Of The Wisest Man- Aristotle
More
17 years 9 months ago #18968 by DaLight
There are so many ways of doing this, with or without the permission of the system admin. I'll suggest one method which will require the cooperation of the system admins and may also vary depending on the details of your particular network:

1. Enable Remote Desktop on your work machine - Control Panel\System\Remote. This should automatically create an exception in the Windows Firewall, but you can check to make sure.
2. Ensure that the RDP port (3390) is forwarded at your office gateway to your office desktop. This will require the cooperation of your system admin.
3. Leave you office computer on.
4. Run the Remote Desktop Client on your home computer with the public address of your office gateway (as arranged with your system admin)
More
17 years 9 months ago #18969 by Smurf

2. Ensure that the RDP port (3390) is forwarded at your office gateway to your office desktop. This will require the cooperation of your system admin.

Sorry fella, RDP Port is 3389 :) This would work if you have the Admin's setting it up. I wouldn't really like to configure this if i was the Admins unless i could lock it down to your home machines IP Address in the first place, then i would be a little dubious.

Another way which may depend on if you have access rights to your office machine would be something like gotomypc , there is another one but the name escapes me at the moment.

Anyhow, i hate this one as its a backdoor into the internal LAN which successfully bypasses the firewalls as it uses a SSL connection. That said, something like Websense or Microsoft ISA Server can be configured to block access to the websites so it may still not work :)

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
17 years 9 months ago #18973 by DaLight

Sorry fella, RDP Port is 3389 :)

Sorry my mistake. I know the default RDP port is 3389. Just used to using non-standard ports :D
More
17 years 9 months ago #18976 by sose
I am more comfortable with the school of thought that uses Remote Assistance to tackle this issue. With remote assistance an invitation file can be created for remote assistane which can be passworded for securinty purpoes.

Remote assistance either via email or through Window messenger create room for an interactive section, voice chat etc. when using remote destop connection one party is always logout

Goto Microsoft Knowledge base to learn how to create remote assistance file.

I remain
sose
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds