Skip to main content

wireless starting from scratch

More
16 years 2 months ago #26789 by dougal
could someone please confirm that the owner needs to lose the bt modem and just use the belkin router.

in the meantime Bt wireless connection manager is asking for the 'network card ' what is this?

dougal
More
16 years 2 months ago #26791 by jester
The owner must either use the modem or belkyn router ,suppose if their is any issue with the BT connection the bt engineers will advice u to use any one of the device's
don't use the bt configuration setup since it is common for all the BT wireless routers like home hub and the voyager series
go for the driver downloaded by u and the operating system's access point
More
16 years 2 months ago #26821 by TheBishop
Sorry I've not been back on this one.
A few things here; firstly the samll tv screen crossed out that has appeared in the task bar on the laptop is the agen for the Belkin wireless dongle drivers. Belkin drivers like to take over the machine, so any settings you make for the wireless you'll need to make via the Belkin utility and not through the normal Windows screens. First of all, check whether the wireless zero configuration service in Windows is running, and if it is, stop and disable it. Then reboot and try double-clicking or right-clicking on the taskbar icon. You should be able to launch a configuration program for the Belkin wireless adaptor. If it's anything like the ones I've seen it won't be very intuitive but you should be able to figure it out. Get it to search for wireless networks. If it finds some and you can select one and have the option to connect (even if you don't have the required keys) then the laptop part is working. You can then forget that and concentrate on the router end.
Regarding the router, what kind of connections does the Belkin wireless router have on it? Are they all RJ45 Ethernet sockets, or is there an RJ11 (little modem/phone socket) for connection to the phone line and ADSL? The answer to this question will tell us whether you need to use the Belkin and the BT router together or whether you can ditch the BT one
More
16 years 2 months ago #26830 by dougal
THANKS AGAIN FOR REPLIES.
finally got to work on this yesterday ,my previous hunches were close
tried typing in the belkin wizard address.nothing.tried again, some head scratching later i realised that the inverted commas which were depicted as part of the address, werent...
leaving these out ,eureka ! the wizard page opened up
but all attempts to log in failed 'submit' failed,
tried a couple of passwords no joy then i guessed,the pre owned router still had previous settings on but the reset button wouldnt well ,reset... i then tracked down that the button needs to be pressed for 30 seconds.that worked and let me log in and do a factory default.
so we eventually got connected and all worked well for about 5 minutes but then loading IE pages got slower and slower and eventually stopped loading altogether.re boots made no difference.
at this point i'd had enough and put the bt modem back on...
i was disapointed that the belkin didnt put any kind of dialogue box on the computer after installation .that no installation disk is available. ive a feeling that the settings may need to be changed but who knows..
i did attemt a firmware up grade but pushing the upgrade button asks for a path so i would have had to poke around the site trying to find it and then down load it, would have taken hours.
i suppose the router could be faulty but i would have expected this to be picked up.
regards
dougal

More
16 years 2 months ago #26831 by dougal
ps
to complicate things even more. the manual gives the 4 digit number to enter when setting up the connection and to use no other number..the wizard also gives the four digit number and to use no other number....problem is they are different numbers!!!!!
More
16 years 2 months ago #26833 by jester
conform me one thing is broadband working well with the Bt router?
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds