Skip to main content

wireless starting from scratch

More
16 years 2 months ago #26759 by dougal
hi all
some help needed please . a complete novice.
im helping fitting a belgin wireless router and and usb dongle to a friends computer to link in an upstairs computer.
dosent seem to be much on the disk ,just the manual -all 80 pages of it.iwas expecting the software?.

i have the upstairs computer at mine to do some other work on it so i thought id check the dongle bit, but it asks for the software but says it cant find it on the disk .

i know computers inside out but this looks a nightmare.

can i leave the existing broadband modem connected?

regards
dougal
More
16 years 2 months ago #26774 by TheBishop
Hello dougal
Strange that the drives for the dongle aren't on the supplied disk. But no matter; you can still do it.
Do a google search for 'xxxxx drivers download' or something similar, where xxxxx is the exact make/model of your dongle. Find a suitable downoad location then get the one(s) for the operating system you're running. You should then be able to follow the installation instructions for the dongle but point the wizard/install program to the location of these files instead.
Sort out the dongle first and get that installed and apparently working, then post back here and we'll address the wireless router side of things. A good test that it is working is if it can see any wiireless networks in your neighbourhood
More
16 years 2 months ago #26777 by dougal
thanks for your reply Bishop
i did manage to download and install the dongle drivers from belkin last night,
and there must be some communication because a bt sign has come into the remote upstairs computer but not much else.
a small tv screen crossed out, has appeared in the taskbar.
seems as though bt and belkin may be conflicting.
reading through similar posts, the procedure for setting up the router is to connect to an ip address and a wizard will do the business,and not use the bt modem at all,

unfortunately the lady in charge is reluctant to do this in case it messes up her internet.
i should add that i have done nothing to set up the router other than plug in the leads as her son has told her she dosent need to,,,

thanks again dougal
More
16 years 2 months ago #26783 by dougal
well 2 experts one of whom sets up networks for a living, have had a go at installing this router without success
tried going through the isp wizard without success,
it seems that bt is trying to configure at the same time as belkin,
also a suggestion that as the router is second hand it still has the previous owners settings on.
the lady has just informed me that a message has come on saying that bt needs a network card.

what a joke...one for the skip

regards dougal
More
16 years 2 months ago #26785 by jester
Hi,dougal

as u told their may be a conflict between the wireless router and the SP,we use to fallow some basic steps, if nothing works u can try these,

1.go for hard reset of the belkyn
2.check the default gate way of the belkyn and use it to open the routers GUI page.
3.In the GUI page enforce the id-- default email id provided by BT (usually end with bt.com)
4.check the connectivity now
More
16 years 2 months ago #26788 by dougal
thanks jester

we did a reset yesterday, and will certainly try your suggestions today and get back, as i said im a complete novice so a bit more detail would be appreciated.
regards
dougal
Time to create page: 0.133 seconds