Skip to main content

networking

More
17 years 10 months ago #17662 by sose
Replied by sose on topic Re: Networking
Considering the fact that the connection between the two building might be a life investment then a fibre optic connection could be considered because It's also a giabyte transmitting technology and has no problem of interference. I think in the long run the benefit will compensate for the cost.

sose

B.Sc economics, CCNA
More
17 years 10 months ago #17663 by d_jabsd
Replied by d_jabsd on topic Re: networking
I would look into RF (licensed and unlicensed) and Free-Space Optic solutions.

Far more cost effective than running|buying|leasing fiber and there are zero monthly charges, as opposed to leased lines/leased fiber. Just an initial investment.

There are a large number of Wireless solutions that are extremely reliable, very fast, and don't rely on 802.11.

I'm a bit biased since I'm a network engineer for a wireless ISP, but wireless should be explored.
More
17 years 10 months ago #17670 by sose
Replied by sose on topic re:networking
Considering security , wireless connection will be the last option as wirless networks are very easy to crack these days. cabled connection is a better option in a production envionment
More
17 years 10 months ago #17675 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Re: networking
d_jabsd has a good point though; one of the free-space optical solutions might well offer best value for money if you have line-of-sight between the buildings. And they use lasers so would be very difficult to intercept or compromise the data
More
17 years 10 months ago #17677 by Dove
Replied by Dove on topic Re: networking
These all upto the bussiness requirements. If you transmit highly secured data / huge amount of data / need more reliablity then the Fiber is most prefereble solutions...now a days Telecoms provide various schemes to opt this facility. Thats you may have your own fiber or you may lease a line for you.

In my organization I am having both wireless and wired (Fiber) leased lines. I am getting good throughput in Fiber compared to wireless.

Dove
More
17 years 10 months ago #17678 by jhun
Replied by jhun on topic Re: networking
i would agree on both d_jabsd and TheBishop as wireless technology proves to be the most cost-effective way of dealing with the dilemma. with the current advancements being put into wireless technology it could also prove to be reliable in terms of connectivity.
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds