Skip to main content

networking

More
17 years 10 months ago #17681 by d_jabsd
Replied by d_jabsd on topic Re: re:networking

Considering security , wireless connection will be the last option as wirless networks are very easy to crack these days. cabled connection is a better option in a production envionment

This is incorrect. I agree that an 802.11 based solution is a bad idea, but most wireless WAN solutions do _NOT_ use 802.11. In addition, they use a variety of authentication schemes to ensure that only approved devices are are allowed to communicate.

I do this for a living. We use Motorola Canopy, Orthogon Systems bachauls and Dragonwave backhauls. With internal knowledge of the network and its design, one could install a rogue Canopy device and join the network, but the signal between the AP and Subscriber Module is encrypted before being passed into the air and it is not sniffable. The Orthogons and Dragonwaves can be configured to only communicate with their partner device in addition to the RF link being encrypted.

You would be surprised at how many RF longhaul links are out there. All cell carriers use them in there networks because it is far cheaper to get an FCC license and a pair of 100-200Mbps point-to-point radios, than it is to lease/run cables (of any kind). Your only concern is line of site. Its even cheaper to use unlicensed frequencies, if you can find open frequencies to use.

802.11 Wireless and Wireless WAN technologies are two completely different beasts and cannot even be remotely compared. Their only commonality is the lack of a cable.
More
17 years 10 months ago #17702 by panos
Replied by panos on topic Re: networking
Hi d_jabsd

I agree with you that an RF longhaul link is a good idea for this specific case and indeed all cell carriers use them but I don't have any idea on what the cost is and if it comparable to leased lines or fibre. Do you know what's the cost for such an installation and running this?
More
17 years 10 months ago #17705 by d_jabsd
Replied by d_jabsd on topic Re: networking
The price varies based on bandwidth and type of radio.

For a licensed radio pair, you would be looking at somewhere around $20K-25K for a 100-200Mbps (full-duplex) link and that should cover frequency coordination and licensing from the FCC as well.

Dragonwave uses copper or fiber ethernet hand off, so any router will work. Some companies use DS3 handoffs, which would add the the cost since you would need to run Coax from the roof to your NOC and you would need a a router capable of supporting a DS3 card (and the card itself).

Unlicensed radios are going to be in the $15-20k range (but cheaper ones are out there) and will give you 20-300Mbps (half-duplex) bepending on type/manufacturer. These usually have a copper ethernet handoff.

There are no monthly recurring charges so any future expenditures would be license renewal and upgrades if you start with a low bandwidth radio.

Check out www.orthogonsystems.com (now owned by motorola) and www.dragonwaveinc.com .

There are a number of other brands out there but these are the ones I'm familiar with.

You can find motorola/orthogon pricing at www.lastmilegear.com .

For this you have to take into consideration monthly recurring charges for a leased line/dark fiber. Get quotes for everything and compare them. We found wirless is the way to go, but your mileage may vary.
More
17 years 10 months ago #17726 by raks747
Replied by raks747 on topic Re: networking
it was really great to see all of ur views on my topic, and it was fantastic....! no. of views 201 in 2 days time, i hope u guys can have more arguements on this issue, once again thank u guys and thanks to the team of firewall.cx, really a great website
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds