Skip to main content

networking

More
17 years 10 months ago #17649 by raks747
networking was created by raks747
hi
i want a solution regarding networking between 2 buildings
the distance between 2 buildings is 5 kilometers, so which type of network is better,
and how can we do a network design for this
plz reply
thank u
More
17 years 10 months ago #17651 by Dove
Replied by Dove on topic Re: networking
Ususally the Ethernet Technology supports upto 2KM. Hence the Gigabit FastEthernet is the best and cost effective solution for this.

Put the Gigabit FastEthernet connection as a backbone between these two building.

Dove
More
17 years 10 months ago #17652 by eylli
Replied by eylli on topic Re: networking
You can use Cisco LRE family of devices
More
17 years 10 months ago #17659 by raks747
Replied by raks747 on topic Re: networking
can an ISP provide a dedicated line to connect these 2 buldings
More
17 years 10 months ago #17660 by Dove
Replied by Dove on topic Re: networking
Yes, You can but as fas the cost concern Gigabit FastEthernet is best. Because its initial investment only. But if you go for leased line you have to pay bulk amount life long. more over if your traffic is increased then you have to increase the bandwidht accrdingly too..

Dove
More
17 years 10 months ago #17661 by Elohim
Replied by Elohim on topic Re: networking
I like to speak in measurements that I'm familiar with. 5 Kilometres is a little over 3 miles. All of the suggestions assumes that you own the medium. Do you really want to own the fiber between these two buildings? Do you know how much and what it takes to build fiber in this distance. It is costly, trust me I know. Yes, its true that you can get some Cisco router/switch and put in some LX optics and that will cover this distance, it's much more complicated that that. Unless you are a service provider, I don't suggest building your own fiber. The best solution is to get some dark fiber from a carrier that has fiber between the two buildings already or just simply get some circuits between the two building.
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds