Skip to main content

Problem: Messenger Service Pop - Up

More
18 years 1 day ago #17066 by Starfire
It used to be the same sort of geeks that did the virus writing but now it is big business. A lot of organised crime involved in it as well. With advertisers blately supplying the whole thing and the hundreds of millions it can generate annually, spyware etc is only going to get a lot worse in the near future... :(

The more network people can stop it coming down the wire, the better it will become.

You never know, Windows Vista my solve it completely (/chuckle...)
More
17 years 11 months ago #17092 by talk2sp
Replied by talk2sp on topic what if...!
dalight if i recall u said i might not be using a firewall thats right. i am using nettime software to control my systems so i have to disable the firewalls so as to be able to connect to my systems and vice versa.

i have seen how to disable the messenger service but if i disable it will it affect anything?

just for information sake
a staff in my company mistakingly pressed the ok button and guess wat the VGA and Sound driver went dead immediately.

thanks a million people u have done alot. thanks for the intelligent ideas and suggestion. i have SBS and D and i have the lavasoft ad aware.

i will see what happens after i have fixed up the drivers. hummmm thanks.

u guyz are the guyz
[/b]

BORN TO BE GREAT

c0de - 3
Take Responsibility! Don't let failures define you
More
17 years 11 months ago #17097 by DaLight
Replied by DaLight on topic Re: what if...!

dalight if i recall u said i might not be using a firewall thats right. i am using nettime software to control my systems so i have to disable the firewalls so as to be able to connect to my systems and vice versa.

i have seen how to disable the messenger service but if i disable it will it affect anything?

I guessed you didn't have a firewall. Disabling the Messenger service is only an issue if it is used for internal communication in your company e.g. broadcasting messages using "net send"
More
17 years 11 months ago #17101 by talk2sp
Replied by talk2sp on topic shed more tears.....
dalight i did not get ur point or would i say u have not answered my question i asked if i disable it will it have any side effect?

shed more tears..

BORN TO BE GREAT

c0de - 3
Take Responsibility! Don't let failures define you
More
17 years 11 months ago #17105 by DaLight
Replied by DaLight on topic Re: shed more tears.....

dalight i did not get ur point or would i say u have not answered my question i asked if i disable it will it have any side effect?

shed more tears..

I thought I answered it by saying:

Disabling the Messenger service is only an issue if it is used for internal communication in your company e.g. broadcasting messages using "net send"

so if the above does not apply to your company, you can safely disable it.
More
17 years 11 months ago #17144 by btllvr
Replied by btllvr on topic more specific help....
I am not savvy enough to edit my registry by myself, so could someone please tell me what I am looking for. And what I can do to remove this thing b/c I do not want to format. Please help the less savvy.
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds