Skip to main content

Can not acces shared folder on server (Urgent help)

More
18 years 1 week ago #16878 by chandak76
For some reason, all the users onnthe domain can not access the sared folder on a file server, it gives an error that says"\\servername is not accessible.ypu might not have permisions to use this network resource.contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
logon failure:the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer."

No one changed,I just deleted a virus sqldp.exe but still having the problem. please help
More
18 years 1 week ago #16879 by Smurf
Hi there,

What basic troubleshooting have you already applied to this issue ? Please check the following;

1. Connectivity is ok (can you ping the server ip)
2. Can you ping the server by name ? (if this pings ok, whats the address its pinging, is it the same address as the server should be ? i.e. is DNS working as it should)
3. Is it Windows 2003 ? If so, DNS is crucial, check DNS is ok, run nslookup and do some checks there
4. Are there any specific events in the log files on the server or client ?
5. If you do start --> Run --> \\servername --> Click ok. Does it go in and list the Netlogon share ? If you can see the shares, and access the NetLogon share ok its more then likely a permissions issue. Check the NTFS/Share permissions
6. Check permissions anyway.
7. If you try loging onto the client with a user that isn't cached, does it login ok (if needed then create a new user on the domain as a temporary measure, we will then know if the controller is talking to the client ok and authenticating the user. You could just be on Cached Credentials.

Cheers

Wayne

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
18 years 1 week ago #16880 by chandak76
im running windows server 2003,
the dc and file server are two different mchines (all running server 2003.
i can ping the ip and the server name and dns with no problem,
when i give access to every one in local policy on file server it works for about 5mins and then the sane thing happens when i try to connect.
More
18 years 1 week ago #16882 by Smurf
That'll be because the group policy is re-applying to the member server and overwriting the setting you have set.

Which setting are you changing in the local policy ? Access to the shares should be allowed with the default local policy.

I am guessing this problem is with accessing the share from a client computer ? Whats the OS on that machine ?

I look forward to your response.

Wayne

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

More
18 years 1 week ago #16883 by chandak76
im changing the policy tha says "access this computer from the network", there's about 50 computers all running windows xp pro and all of them have the same problem
More
18 years 1 week ago #16884 by Smurf
Can you please let me know what the setting is set to when it stops working and what you are adding to make it work ?

Also, do you have the server in the Built-In Computers OU in your Active Directory ? What Group Policies have you got and where in the tree are they assigned. It sounds like the Group Policy is assign the security setting that you keep changing. Could do with see which policy. I am also interested in what you settings are so that i can see if they have been changed from the defaults so we can work on this on.

Cheers

Wayne

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds