Skip to main content

Windows Server 2003 IIS Questions

More
18 years 11 months ago #10790 by akinaae86
does it make any difference if the clients are behind the server?
More
18 years 11 months ago #10791 by DaLight
ISA Server is not free. It costs over 1000 Pounds Sterling (in the UK anyway). However, if you insist on getting it and you only have a small network (less than 75 machines) to administer, you can get Windows Small Business Server Premium Edition . This consists of Windows 2003, Exchange 2003, SQL Server 2000 and ISA Server 2004 and it costs about the same as each of the individual Server components. The base package comes with 5 clients and you have to pay extra for additional clients.

In response to your second question, the clients can be "behind" the server.
More
18 years 11 months ago #10794 by akinaae86
man, going about this business is very tricky..
More
18 years 11 months ago #10802 by DaLight
If you've got any problems or need any more advice, post here and someone will be able to help you.
More
18 years 11 months ago #10804 by jhun
...or you could try other commercially avialable proxy server software out there like wingate...

try this link for your reference:
www.serverfiles.com/Internet-server-software/Proxy-servers/

but IMHO, it would be alot cheaper if you setup a linux box running squid and otehr open source proxy/firewall servers. not only it is free (although you'll have to buy the hardware of course :wink: ) but you'll also get lots of support for it in the community.
More
18 years 10 months ago #10899 by DaLight
Nice link, jhun!

I think that ultimately, the decision will be based on how much configuration/setting up time you (akinaae86) are prepared to set aside.

If you've got the time and willingness to master the software, I would go Squid(in IPCOP).

If you want a ready-made product that works well with Windows and you've got the cash, I would definitely go Windows Small Business Server Premium. You get everything built-in and you can set it up using wizards quite easily. I know this may go against what some might think, but I think that in IT you really have to go with what works BEST in the circumstances. It's not always "one size fits all".
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds