Skip to main content

How BRAS actually work in detail (Root level information)

More
18 years 4 weeks ago #16392 by Ranger24
B-RAS & Radius Server interaction can work in a number of ways. The example below is a typical example

1. User (CPE or User PC can do this) initiates PPP authentication to the B-RAS

2. B-RAS prompts for username and password (if Password Authentication Protocol [PAP]) or challenge (if Challenge Handshake Authentication Protocol [CHAP]).

3.User replies.

4. Once the user is authenmticated by the B-RAS it sends the username and encrypted password to the RADIUS server. (Access Request)

5. RADIUS checks this against its database and responds with Accept, Reject, or Challenge.

5a. If the user exists and the password is correct the the server sends "Access-Accept"

5b. If the user does not exist or password is incorrect then the server sends "Access-Reject"

5c The server can send "Access-Challenge" (random number) to the B-RAS The B-RAS must respond correctly for authentication to be complete. This is optional and dependant on the authentication model required.

6. The B-RAS acts upon services (i.e supplies require IP from a pool or relases static IP) and services parameters (i.e. QoS) as bundled with Accept or Reject.

I hope this helps.

R

Patience - the last reserve of the any engineer
More
17 years 9 months ago #18852 by unlight
Hi there,

Just wondering if someone could confirm some B-RAS synonyms for me: RAN (remote access node) and ERX (edge router ...?) - are these one and the same or are they different pieces of equipment serving different functions in a broadband network?

thanks!
More
17 years 9 months ago #18856 by Ranger24
Hi Unlight,

Welcome to firewall!

With regards to your question:

RAN - Remote Access Node (or if Mobile broadband Radio Access Network)

ERX - Not a synonym but a product name/ ERX was (is?) a B-RAS sold by siemens/juniper

Hope that helps

R

Patience - the last reserve of the any engineer
More
17 years 9 months ago #18910 by unlight
Hiya, thanks for the info and welcome (: I was trying to clarify a diagram I got of my countries DSL network.
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds