Skip to main content

How BRAS actually work in detail (Root level information)

More
18 years 1 month ago #16305 by sunny17jain
Hi Guys,
I tried CISCO,Google.. then dslforum .org also.But couldnt find an exact working concept for BRAS.I jst knw tht it is some kind of an authentication server.BUt exactly how it works can somebody put light on this topic

Regards ,
BRAS answer finder :)
More
18 years 1 month ago #16323 by Ranger24
Hi,

BRAS is not just an anuthentciation server, however this is one of it's key functions.

BRAS (Broadband Remote Access Server) are deployed as a gate keeper between the DSL access network and the Core IP network.

The BRAS is effectively a customs officer, and a traffic cop.

Customs Officer:
Controls access between the 2 networks by ensuring only valid subscribers can access the services supplied by the IP core. Authentication can be via:

- PPP (traditional)
- AAA (getting more common)
- DHCP (Yes it really is used by some ISPs for authentication)

Depending upon the operator requirements. The authentication may be perfomed on the BRAS or by a RADIUS server (or similar) connected to the BRAS

Traffic Cop:
Needs to be able tio manage traffic flows for all services streams (WWW, Voice, VoD or IPTV) to ensure QoS ias maintained. Some BRAS are able to offer advance dynamic shaping and scheduling on a per subscriber basis.

Also must be able to handle all common routing protocols as well as act as a Border Session Controller in some advance network configs.

Hope this helps.

R

Patience - the last reserve of the any engineer
More
18 years 1 month ago #16331 by tiamat
That's funny, I thought bras were pretty self explanatory - they hold up the boobies!
More
18 years 4 weeks ago #16348 by sunny17jain
Replied by sunny17jain on topic RE
Hey Ranger

Thanks a lot for replying the stuff.But i need little bit more info as if there is a scenario where BRAS has to communicated with RADIUS auth server.who is goin to generate the ip for the end uder.As per my knwoledge..sttic or dynamic ip is genereated for the end user bt how does it happen can u point out some info on this.If u free, u can ping me on sunny1884jain@yahoo.co.in or sunny17jain@gmail.com
More
18 years 4 weeks ago #16349 by sunny17jain

That's funny, I thought bras were pretty self explanatory - they hold up the boobies!

:P
More
18 years 4 weeks ago #16350 by Smurf

lol, must automatically read it as "B-RAS" as didn't spot that

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds