Skip to main content

physical net documentation solutions

More
14 years 8 months ago #33284 by psychobyte
HI,

I'm curious as to what people use for managing their physical network documentation e.g. switch port TO patch panel TO wall plate. I'm sure excel is popular, but what do large commercial buildings use? Military?

Thanks.
More
14 years 8 months ago #33289 by talk2sp
Hello Pbyte for physical documentation on network flow Microsoft Visio still ranks the top chart. It has it's competitor on the Linux side but u knw since most people use windows they might not necessary know about the Linux visio alternative...

I think the military uses Schematics which i suppose where done by em AutoCAD or some other classified software.

My self i use AutoCAD and Visio Mainly. Visio is cool.

C0DE - 3

BORN TO BE GREAT

c0de - 3
Take Responsibility! Don't let failures define you
More
14 years 8 months ago #33292 by psychobyte
i think those are typically used to track switch to switch and network layout. However, I'm interested in tracking the connections from switch port to patch panel to wall port to end-node (computers).

I haven't seen any commercial products,yet.
More
14 years 8 months ago #33296 by S0lo
Ya, that would be a nice idea for a software to have.

In our place, faceplate to patch panel is only done using numbers on the face plate it self. Some thing like: P2-13, (i.e Panel 2, port 13). For patch panel to switch, an excel sheet should do good. But in many cases I find the guy using his probe or simply unplugging/plugging the cable to notice the lid on the switch side!!. Another idea, is to place stickers on the cables (near the switch side) and write patch panel ports numbers on them, then when a change is needed only do it on the switch side.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
14 years 8 months ago #33362 by apit

Hello Pbyte for physical documentation on network flow Microsoft Visio still ranks the top chart. It has it's competitor on the Linux side but u knw since most people use windows they might not necessary know about the Linux visio alternative...

What is the softwore for Linux? Is it DIA?
More
14 years 8 months ago #33363 by apit
Just for sharing..This how it's done at my workplace

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds