Skip to main content

cisco 2600 on cable modem 4mbps!..

More
15 years 2 months ago #30863 by S0lo
ZiPPy, that explains.

@S0lo

Since the modem doesn't have one it should be your IPS's IP. But from the diagram, 217.12.68.40 doesn't seam to be the right one.

Are you referring to the actual IP address? If you are, remember this is a fake address as I did not want to reveal the true IP.

Sure it's a fake IP, still the diagram and the config shows it associated with 2800 router. I believe the default route should use the IP on the other side of the link i.e the ISP side (which is not shown here).

I might be wrong, so tell us how it works out with ya.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
15 years 2 months ago #30891 by ZiPPy
I designed this network for a lab type simulation along with showing a fello user how to implement a DSL or Cablem modem connection to a Cisco router. But it turns out I ran into NATing issues which lead to RDP issue ect ect.

In essence, you wouldn't really have this type of setup regardless of the environment as the router doesn't really play a role in the network, other than being on the network.

It has been brought to my attention that I could use the 3560 for routing. But I wanted to share some information about L2 and L3 switches and being a 35xx series. If a switch, such as the one in my topology is a 35xx series that doesn't necessarily mean its a L3 switch. Many people make the common mistake in thinking since its a high level series switch (ie 35xx) it has L3 capabilities.

Let me explain:

You basically have two types of IOS images, SMI and EMI. Switches are shipped with one of the two, primarily the type of licensing you pay for as EMI is more expensive than SMI.

SMI - standard multilayer image - provides L2 features which are enterprise class intelligent services with features such as access contol lists (ACLs), quality-of-service(QoS), static routing and Hot Standby Router Protocol (HSRP). You can upgrade an SMI imaged switch to an EMI switch.

EMI - enhanced multilayer image - provides a much larger set of enterprise class intelligent services with features such as full L3 routing (IP unicast routing, IP multicast routing, and fallback bridging), EIGRP and OSPF protocols too.

Hope that sheds some light on SMI and EMI switches.

Cheers mates,

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds