Skip to main content

VLAN "stretching" over frame relay (WAN in general

More
15 years 5 months ago #29861 by skylimit
Hi guys,

I'm currently in the design phase of implementing a cluster (2-node) which spans across 2 sites/data center* but I'm stuck on how best to make the virtual IP address exist on both networks.

I believe it's possible to have same subnet across the two sites so that it appears as a non-routed LAN, this way a virtual IP providing services can migrate from primary to secondary during a failure. What keeps coming to my mind is VLANs. i.e. having a VLAN (one network) stretch across the sites (over the Frame relay network**) so that nodes appear to be in same network. Is this possible? If so how? Anyone had experience with this? Or am I just hitting my head against a brick wall..

Diagram: yfrog.com/3shaclusterdiagj
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

*actually both nodes are located in same physical location but separated by the Frame relay which makes it appear as two sites/networks..
**We have a frame relay kit in the office so no provider is involved at this stage. [/b]

"...you are never too old to learn" anon
More
15 years 5 months ago #29862 by Chojin
I think what you are looking for as a QinQ tunnel.

www.ippacket.org/blog/archives/2004/08/ieee_8021q-in-q.html

If you need more info, just let me know :)

CCNA / CCNP / CCNA - Security / CCIP / Prince2 / Checkpoint CCSA
More
15 years 5 months ago #29863 by skylimit
Thanks for the quick reply. I actually stumbled upon QinQ here: ccnprecertification.com/2004/03/17/8021q-tunneling/ and even though it looks pretty straightforward, I dont think I can configure it. Are there any alternatives?
Any more responses appreciated.
Thanks again.

More
15 years 5 months ago #29864 by Chojin
you can't configure because of it is too hard or not possible due to your infrastructure?

www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/lanswitch/c...lsw_ieee_802.1q.html

Here is more info and a configure guide.

If you need help with configuring, let me know.

CCNA / CCNP / CCNA - Security / CCIP / Prince2 / Checkpoint CCSA
More
15 years 5 months ago #29865 by skylimit
Chojin, I appreciate your replies... I dont think our current hardware supports QinQ tunelling. Also since a service provider is not involved at this stage, I dont know if this is the best option..

Thanks again.

More
15 years 5 months ago #29875 by skylimit
Hi guys,

This question is related to my previous post. I have one server/node in data center A and another server/node in data center B.Both data centers are connected by a frame relay. Is it possible to have both nodes (active & standby) appear to be on the same network so that they can share a virtual IP? If so, how?

Here's my diagram: yfrog.com/3shaclusterdiagj

This is to enable me achieve high availability clustering where nodes on different networks/sites share the same IP address (virtual/Ip alias) to which clients connect in order access the cluster.

I believe there are people here who can answer this.

Thanks for any replies.

PS. the servers run linux

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds