Network in place but with issues...

More
17 years 5 months ago #20563 by smitherton
what model of router are you using?
More
17 years 5 months ago #20564 by daphnie96757
More
17 years 5 months ago #20565 by smitherton
Okay, I have done some research on your router. First of all it seems your network sounds like it is need of an upgrade if the rv082 is your core layer switching/wouting device. Nevertheless, this router has only one interface with no vlan support soooo you are stuck using 1 subnet on your network. please refer to my previous post where I gave you an addressing scheme that will support 512 devices on one subnet (your current will only allow 254) Your router will support this addressing scheme so if you were having troubles, keep playing with it, you will figure it out :)

This solution will only provide you with a network that can support your needs for devices, dont expect it to be fast. I would look into re-engineering the core and distrobution switches/routers. . maybe some vlans,

please let me know if this is going to work for your network.
More
17 years 5 months ago #20569 by TheBishop
I'm with smitherton here. I tried implementing a project using an RV082 and discovered I could only set a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 on the LAN side, not 255.255.0.0 which was what I needed. After much mucking about I gave up on the RV082 and used a Draytek box instead. I think your difficulties with the design and the addresing are being caused because your box can't do what you need it to do, and if it could then you wouldn't be looking at half the difficulty you're having now. Is there any possibility of replacing the router in this scenario?
More
17 years 5 months ago #20571 by daphnie96757
You have come to the same design conclusion I had came too already. I was just hoping that someone who has been in networking longer had a solution without the reconfiguration of the network here.

As per your code stated eariler, why would I want to use a subnet mask of 255.255.254.0?
More
17 years 5 months ago #20572 by smitherton
this subnet mask allows you to use 512 address on one network. I would be amazed if your router would not let you use this subnet.
but. . .

If you are not able to change the subnet from 255.255.255.0 then you are stuck with a bad router and no solution to your problem. The Linksys rv082 has but only 1 LAN port, and if what people are saying is correct about it only accepting a 255.255.255.0 netmask THEN, this router will only allow 254 hosts on the network and that is all.
Time to create page: 0.258 seconds