Skip to main content

just an experiment

More
17 years 11 months ago #17511 by sose
just an experiment was created by sose
In my network I use a wireless router that assign ip address to 15 PCs through dhcp. I use an ethernet port on the router to distribute internet service to other clients . But there is a client in my network with 2 LAN cards therefore, I used an ethernet cable to tap signal directly from the router onto the second LAN card. the client is recieving transmission from the router through 2 different channels and dhcp assigned 2 consecutive ip addess to the client.

Well, the sysytem is browsing .

So what is your comment .
More
17 years 11 months ago #17523 by Dove
Replied by Dove on topic Re: just an experiment
Thats Great...but...what is the uses on this..?

Can you tell me in which IP the traffics are passing? either NIC1 or NIC2

Dove
More
17 years 11 months ago #17526 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: just an experiment
If your using Windows, type:

route print

under command prompt. you should see the routing table. the line that has 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 has the default gateway and the interface card that windows is using to connect to the net.

As far as I know windows does'nt do load balancing by default. so your probably only utilizing one LAN card for internet connection.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
17 years 11 months ago #17528 by Smurf
Replied by Smurf on topic Re: just an experiment

If your using Windows, type:

route print

under command prompt. you should see the routing table. the line that has 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 has the default gateway and the interface card that windows is using to connect to the net.

As far as I know windows does'nt do load balancing by default. so your probably only utilizing one LAN card for internet connection.

I think that is correct however it would be interesting to see what the routing table tells us. And test it further. As Dove said though, why would you want to do this unless one of the subnets was for hosting some services (similar to what you would probable do with a NAS/SAN and have a backend network (second interface card) to host the drives ?

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
17 years 11 months ago #17532 by Dove
Replied by Dove on topic Re: just an experiment
Nice, any how the windows will not load balance the traffic right, then no need to do this kind of complex network isn't it?. what smurf, what you think on this.

Dove
More
17 years 11 months ago #17534 by Smurf
Replied by Smurf on topic Re: just an experiment

smurf, what you think on this.

The only real reason i see to have dual network adapters is if you are connecting to a back end network for something like a SANs/SQL Clusters/etc... I cannot really see the need of it on a workstation though ! Its not likely that you would want to route to several different subnets through both interfaces though, the back end normally would be a subnet that is reserved just for hosting the NAS/SQL Cluster, etc..

Like you said, i am pretty sure that you cannot load balance by having two default gateways although i have no idea how Windows would decide which gateway to put into your routing table. Things like that do interest me as i like to know the answer to these things but at the end of the day i would think it is pretty pointless.

Cheers

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds