Skip to main content

Installing Xp over a network

More
19 years 4 months ago #8424 by Lindows
Is their a way i can install xp pro over my network from a host computer. Any help would do.

Thanks,

Lindows :wink:
More
19 years 4 months ago #8434 by Ozzy_98
Yea, the basic process your calling for uses RIS, Remote Installation Services. Setting up a dedicated ris server can be a lot of work, but a very basic setup isn't too hard.

How To Use Remote Installation Service to Install Windows 2000 Professional on Remote Computers

Doing this way, you need a dhcp server, and DNS, both easy, and active directory, not worth setting up just for this.

www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&...vice%22+%22how+to%22 Here's a nice set of links for how to use RIS.

All you really need though, is a way to boot the clent machine where it can access a network, like from a dos boot disk. Once you do that, all you have to do is copy the windows cd to a hdd (Just copy the files using explorer) and share the folder, setting permissions to everyone to read & execure (Might need to check groups, in some windows os'es, everyone group won't apply to non-authencated users).

If you have windows running, and just want, say, a remote reinstall, then it's easy. Just copy the cd to the server computer, share it, and from the client, run the setup program, it'll run the first part of setup, then reboot.

If you need more info, you'll have to mention how good you are with your network. And while it doesn't cover remote installs, unattended.msfn.org/ is a great site for unattended installs and talks about how to integrate service packs and hot fixes into the image you use.
More
19 years 4 months ago #8444 by Lindows
Replied by Lindows on topic Thanks
Really appreciate your help. Those links really gave me some helpful information. i tried the win200 way but fo some reason the computer failed me.

Lindows
More
19 years 4 months ago #8446 by Ozzy_98
There's too many variables to tackle all at once, one simple mistake will make the whole process stop. I'll see if I can dig up a link to a boot disk that can connect without the need for a dhcp server, dns, ect.
More
19 years 4 months ago #8459 by Lindows
Replied by Lindows on topic Great
Appreciate it!

Lindows :lol:
More
18 years 10 months ago #11420 by VENKATESH
hi,

i read the information and start RIS server on windows 2003, DHCP,DNS, ADS are installed and i copy the CD image in the server, all my clients are PIV with 865 GVSR motherboard with Remote boot. I tried with option called PXE BOOT.Windows XP installation started but after few mints, the error message" The operating system image you have choosed does not contains all the driver files needed for your network adaptor, try another image or contact system administrator".

How should i add the intel pro network driver for this installation , can anybody answer for this question?
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds