Skip to main content

The Explicit Deny

More
19 years 6 months ago #7531 by mikedbom
The Explicit Deny was created by mikedbom
I was messing around with permissions on my Win2k server from an XP Pro station and somehow managed to explicitly deny full control of a folder to the Everyone group. I had ownership of the folder and full control granted to my domain user account, but now i cannot access the folder. The properties reveal only a general and custom tab and the file size is reading 0 bytes. Did I lose all the information in this folder? Can I recover this folder or undo the explicit deny?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
More
19 years 6 months ago #7532 by MezzUp
Replied by MezzUp on topic Re: The Explicit Deny
You probably don't see the Security tab because you don't have the "Read permissions" permission.

I'm no Windows ACL expert, but I'm pretty sure Administrator always has the "Take ownership" permission, and then you could get the "Change permissions" permission and then open the folder.

If the advice above isn't valid, I think you can connect the hard drive to another computer, log into he Windows on that computer, and open up the folder from the other Win, which I don't think would follow the permission list with the explicit deny
More
19 years 6 months ago #7533 by mikedbom
Replied by mikedbom on topic re: MezzUp
I do have the permission to read the permissions, but the security tab is not even available anymore. See, i changed the permissions to explicitly deny everyone but me, but by denying the Everyone group, everyone, including administrators are denied access. There has got to be a way to reverse it, I just dont know how. I need to be able to recover the files inside of that folder.
More
19 years 6 months ago #7535 by jhun
Replied by jhun on topic Re: The Explicit Deny
hi

i think that you are not on a domain environment but rather on a workgroup.

as far as i know (correct me if i'm wrong :) ) if you are on a domain level these properties of a folder are enabled and on a workgroup level, these are disabled. on a domain level, even though you have removed all permissions explicitly, you would still have the security tab on a properties of a folder highlighted. and mezzup is correct that you can take ownership of the folder and reset all permissions.
More
19 years 6 months ago #7537 by mikedbom
Replied by mikedbom on topic Re: The Explicit Deny
Maybe i havent provided enough information, but I am on a domain. My workstation communicates directly with a server that is linked to a WAN for multiple locations. As administrator of my workstation, I accessed a mapped network drive on which a folder of mine resides. I was trying to make it so that nobody but me could access it by denying everyone, taking ownership of the file and allowing only me full control. But i am still a part of the everyone group so i locked myself out as well. Now, access is denied to that folder by all, ownership cannot be taken, it cannot be copied, moved, cut, or altered. I am looking for a way to reverse those permissions to get my stuff back.

Thanks for the input so far.
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds