Skip to main content

Multiple NICs with DG set on one Windows Box

More
19 years 7 months ago #7051 by didster
Hi all,

I am having a problem with the wonder that is Windows (XP to be percise). For reasons I wont go into, I have (its not my choice) two NICs in my PC, both of which get there IPs assigned by DHCP.

One NIC (a wired one) is on IP range 10.0.0.x. The other (Wireless) is on NIC 10.0.1.x. The two networks are not phycially connected togeter in anyway.

Both NICs have a default gateway assigned, and both are able to get to the net. I wish to use the wireless one only for net access (it's less restrictive). However I still need to leave the wired one enabled for access to local services (which arn't reachable on the wireless one).

Now I relise the easy way to do this would be just to remove the DG setting for the wired NIC, but I can't do this - it comes from DHCP.

I have tried changing the binding order for the connections so the wireless one is first, but internet traffic always goes out the wired one.

I can temporally remove the default gateway setting form the routing table for the wired NIC (remove entry 0.0.0.0/0 for that NIC) and that works fine - but Windows seem to peridicolly re-add it (assume its DHCP or something).

Anyone got any ideas?

I do relise this is a silly setup - but its not mine to change if you get me - the wired one should be all you need (which it is, if you only want to surf the web).
More
19 years 7 months ago #7063 by sahirh
Try using the -p option and setting a static route which stays across boots..

route /? should help you out.

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
19 years 7 months ago #7116 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic DHCP
It will be DHCP that re-adds your gateway entry every time the lease gets renewed. You should be able to do it by following Sahirhs suggestion. if you can add specific routes. What I mean is that the default gateway is the 'gateway of last resort'. If you can add permanent routes that are more specific then they will get used in preference
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds