Skip to main content

Network Problem

More
17 years 6 months ago #20285 by Ali2007
Network Problem was created by Ali2007
I have windows 2003 server and client with windows xp. I able to ping server from client but unable to ping client computer from server. when I try to access client computer i get following error:

\\computer is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The network path was not found.

Please help me.
More
17 years 6 months ago #20286 by Smurf
Replied by Smurf on topic Re: Network Problem
Sounds more likely to be a Windows problem (config or something) so i have moved it to here.

First of all, can you confirm if you are running it in a Windows Domain environment or is it a workgroup setup ?

Also, do you have the Windows XP firewall enabled (if its service packed) ? If it is then ICMP doesn't work so thats probably why the Pings are not working (also unless configured correctly, it can also stop attaching to the computer over the network).

I would check the firewall and if its enabled turned it off for testing purposes.

Cheers

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
17 years 6 months ago #20287 by Ali2007
Replied by Ali2007 on topic Re: Network Problem
Thanks for your reply.

I am running windows domain environment. I would also like to inform you that sometime when I try access server from client computer it prompts for User name and password, when provide it then get connected with server.

XP Firewall is turned off.

thanks in advance.
More
17 years 6 months ago #20289 by Smurf
Replied by Smurf on topic Re: Network Problem
So the Windows XP machine is in the Windows 2003 environment ? Can you take a look at event viewer and see if there are any errors within there ?

Can you try removing the machine from the Windows 2003 domain and then re-adding it (just in order to test something). It sounds like it may be the Machine Account has got out of sync. If removing and adding works then there is a knowledge base article on Microsoft's website that explains steps on resyncing them if it ever happens in the future.

If ya can get back to us.

Cheers

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds