Skip to main content

Help Regarding Printer sharing

More
17 years 9 months ago #19026 by prasath
Hello Every one. I have a question ?

I am using windows 2000 professional with sp4 ( All PC's) . I have a small network and i have connected all PC with help of a switch. i have installed a printer and shared it and i have added network printer in all systems and its print good. But when i give print from a network it is not printing without permission. i will log in to the server with my user id. then the printer works. So what should i do to print from a network automatically without logging to my server.

All pc's are individuals there is no server client concept. but only one pc has installed with all devices.

Can any one help me ?. :?:
More
17 years 9 months ago #19032 by Smurf

i will log in to the server with my user id.

All pc's are individuals there is no server client concept.

Eh ? I will assume that you are just running Windows 2000 Pro ?

Can you check the permissions on the Printer, if you can make sure that the Everyone group has got access to it and not the "Authenticated Users". This should then allow anyone over the wire to then print.

Cheers

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
17 years 9 months ago #19035 by TheBishop
If I understand this right, Prasath, you have a peer-to-peer network with all PCs and no domain structure or dedicated server. That being the case, what you need to do is to make sure that all the users on all the PCs that will need acces to the printer are expicitly given that access when you share the printer. You will need to do this on the PC that is hosting the printer, and you might also need to explicitly define all your PCs in the hosts and lmhosts files as relying on Windows browser to locate the machines can be a bit hit and miss. Alternatively you could just have the same user with the same password on all your PCs
More
17 years 9 months ago #19038 by S0lo

Alternatively you could just have the same user with the same password on all your PCs

Yes, As far as I know, This is a simple approach that will always work. The basic idea is: "The loged in user in the client should be created in the server with the same user name and password as it is in the client".

Windows always tries to automatically authenticate with the server using the logged in user user/pass before it promptes you for a password. If the auto auth succeeds, it should print directly. (Well, If I'm not missing some thing here).

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
17 years 9 months ago #19039 by sose
there is a contradiction in your posting . you said that " I log into the server with my user id" and you later concluded that "all pcs are induviduals , there is no server client concept"

Well , as earlier explained by our firewall.cx gurus, if you added the printers on all clients and there is no permissions restrictions all should be fine .

in addition

Are you sure you are using the correct and compactible printer driver.

Open your logical printer to see whether print jobs are making it to the printer . If they are not then you have to stop and restart your print spooler services.

Also, it may be that your server side spooler and print router are not connecting to the remote print provider and subsequently to the print server. shutting down your printer, print server or restarting your print spooler services could also help.

I remain
sose
More
17 years 9 months ago #19041 by DaLight
You could bypass all the hassles of permissions setting, etc by making the printer itself act as a print server. This will also have the added benefit of not requiring any one PC to be on all the time to act as a print server. This will of course mean that the print queue management features will depend solely on the quality of the printer's built-in print server. In order to get the printer to act as a print server, you will need to install it as a "Local printer" from each workstation.
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds