Skip to main content

Name resolution and network card problem. Please help!

More
18 years 2 days ago #17023 by Lissie
I have just started working at the public library in my hometown. The librarian has only been here one year. She is trying to update our system, however, it takes time. That said we have a LAN running on a Windows NT 4 server. I have a workstation running Windows XP Home edition. I can ping the loop back and the IP of the workstation, but I cannot ping the server or the wireless server. I am unable to ping anywhere on the network using a name nor can I ping any web addresses using a name. Also nslookup doesn't work. All the troubleshooting I have done leads me to believe that this is a name resolution issue. However, nothing I have found tells me how to fix the problem. We are using static IP addresses. Also because I am unable to Ping the server this could be a network card problem. Is this possible? Would replacing the card also fix the name resolution issue? How do I fix the name resolution issue? Please keep in mind that I am new at this and a girl. I need step by step help. Please help anyone!
More
18 years 2 days ago #17027 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic PC Problem
Hi Lissie, welcome to Firewall.cx
Don't apologise for being a girl; you have that in common with around 50% of the planet!
First of all, can you ping anything other than your loopback address - your server perhaps, another PC close by on the same part of the network or a network device such as a switch or hub - by it's IP address only? If you can then your network card must be working and you probably do have a name resolution issue. But if you can't then either the card isn't working, your machine isn't configured right or you may have a physical connection problem. Try the above, and let us know what happens. Also, bring up a command prompt on your PC, type in ipconfig /all and let us know what information it comes back with
More
18 years 2 days ago #17034 by Smurf
Also if you are going to try and add the Windows XP Home Edition to the Windows NT Domain i think you will struggle. Windows XP Home doesn't come with that kind of network support and you will need to use Windows XP Professional Edition.

Cheers

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
18 years 1 day ago #17056 by Lissie
You guys aren't going to believe this, but the problem is solved. We hooked another computer up at that workstation and found that we had the same problem. This led to an examination of the switch. I switched ports on the router and problem solved. Thanks for your help!
More
18 years 1 day ago #17059 by TheBishop
Excellent. That suggestion was coming later depending on your initial reply. Glad you sorted it out
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds