Skip to main content

how to add XP home in my windows 2000 server

More
18 years 3 months ago #15059 by libran_alok
I have a laptop with windows 2003 enterprise Server,
and another laptops with Windows XP home and Professional.
Now the problem is
how will i add XP HOME in my domain?
I have already added my XP Pro in my domain but having problm with XP home, and even
I can ping from my XP home to the server but cant do vice-versa.
Thanks
More
18 years 3 months ago #15061 by nekkanti
Normally, Windows XP Home Edition cannot join network domains, simply peer-to-peer workgroups. However, there is a fix which can solve the problem and allow WinXP Home Edition to join a domain. Microsoft wanted to cripple Windows XP Home Edition so that it could not be used on domains, which would force many to upgrade to the more expensive Windows XP Professional Edition simply to join a network domain. However, it -is- possible to get on a domain using Windows XP Home Edition.

This can also be accomplished with the free and widely available Xteq X-Setup 6.1 by navigating to the "Network \ Auto Login \ Windows NT/2K/XP \ Settings" option within X-Setup. Simply enter the appropriate information and click "Apply Changes" - upon your next reboot, you can then join domains with WinXP Home Edition. Problem solved. X-Setup includes many other useful Windows XP tweaks / hacks / etc. for Windows XP as well, all free for personal use.

Below is the link for X-setup tool

www.X-setup.net
More
18 years 3 months ago #15062 by donanak
First of all you cannot browse or access resources on domain which your laptop is not a member of.

But you can share objects on the server and be able to access it on your M$ Win HE.

You can access resources by mapping drives. I tried it once and it work. You can right-click MY COMPUTER on the desktop and select map a network drive or from explorer do like wise.

and input: \\servername\sharename and from tick reconnect on logon and then OK. By using the right username and password you will be able to have access to the shared resource.

Do same for your printer if you want to share one.

With regards to the above guide, I believe your network is setup properly and resources are shared on the server already.

Also just to let you know that Windows XP Home Ed is limited in some ways, domain capabilities is one of them. M$ did cripple this OS for companies to go for XP Pro instead. Don't ask me why. There are ways around it but you'll have to google for that.

Have you tried using *nix anyway, it's secured, rubust and Samba is there to help save alot of time and $$$. That's just a thought.

HTH

A smart person knows what to say, but a wise person knows whether or not to say it.

'When perfection comes, the imperfect disappear.'
Time to create page: 0.223 seconds