Skip to main content

FTP time out behind the Windows 2003 Firewall

More
18 years 9 months ago #11854 by mars1977
Dear Sir/Madam,
Hello,

We have a Windows 2003 Standard Edition dedicated server with Plesk control panel on it.
Its Windows Firewall is "ON" with some exceptions port like 3389 and so on.
From one week ago some of our users report that they cannot upload files to some folders (by any kind of FTP Program).
We have checked this matter with CuteFTP 6.0 and get the below error:
"125 Data connection already open; Transfer starting.
Timeout (60000 ms) occurred on receiving data from the server.
226 Transfer complete."
After 3-4 days we found that our users have error with which folders that have a lot files (some how more than 40 or 50 files in it or more than 1.5 MB size).
Today I read a paper that someone else had a similar problem and he/she "changed the timeout on the firewall to a greater time" (but his/her firewall is Sonicwall firewall not windows 2003 firewall).
Now would you please guide me that how can I change the timeout on the windows 2003 firewall to a greater time and our users can FTP to some folders that have a lot of files or want to send a big size file to their folders?
I will look forward to hear from you as soon as possible.

Best Regards
Ahmad Reza Yousefi
More
18 years 9 months ago #12303 by drizzle
Maybe it is the timeout you have set for the FTP service in windows. By default is is 120 seconds. I guess it depends on the link you are going across but that timeout should be plenty.

To change it globally, go to the IIS mmc snap-in, right click on "FTP Sites" and select properties. On the "FTP Site" tab (which is the first tab), there are some connection settings. You may try changing those settings to see if that fixes your problem.

To change it for a specific FTP site, just right click on the specific site and go through the same procedure as listed above to change the connection timeout.

On a side note, you may want to try using a different FTP server. I really like FileZilla's Secure FTP server. The stardard FTP server works pretty good too but FTP is something you only want to use if you have to. It is very insecure.

filezilla.sourceforge.net/

Good luck...
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds