Skip to main content

linux file mirroring software for servers

More
18 years 8 months ago #12662 by havohej
Salute! :P

Hi everybody, Does anybody know what linux software can filemirror between two servers??

I have two red hat as4 servers providing http services, a cisco router acting as a tcp load balancer.

The objective is provide backup and load sharing purpouses for the servers and the availability they provide.

luck.
More
18 years 7 months ago #12842 by nske
If you do not need real-time mirroring, rsync would be good.

For real time mirroring things are more tricky, there are some expensive solutions like Redhat's Global FS , PeerFS , PeerSync and AtisLin but it is also possible with the use of FAM (check this tutorial). There is also an other application, called drdb for which I've read some good comments. If you try some of these please share your experience with us! :)
More
18 years 3 months ago #14858 by taqqi14
Yes i have used DRBD with Heartbeat as High Availability solution on Linux AS4 servers for my mail server which enables redundency and realtime mirroring of data(filesystem mounted by drbd) from primary server to hotstandby secondary server .Whenever primary server goes down standby secondary server takes on the serving responsibility borrowing the ip address of the orig.primary sevrer and data replication already done when orig.primary server sync with secondary(standyby) server.
i can help anyone with the config files if someone needs them.

Regards
Shahzad bokhari
Senior Network Engg
World Online
Pakistan
Islamabad
taqqi12@hotmail.com
More
18 years 3 months ago #15288 by SmartDude

Yes i have used DRBD with Heartbeat as High Availability solution on Linux AS4 servers for my mail server which enables redundency and realtime mirroring of data(filesystem mounted by drbd) from primary server to hotstandby secondary server .Whenever primary server goes down standby secondary server takes on the serving responsibility borrowing the ip address of the orig.primary sevrer and data replication already done when orig.primary server sync with secondary(standyby) server.
i can help anyone with the config files if someone needs them.

Regards
Shahzad bokhari
Senior Network Engg
World Online
Pakistan
Islamabad
taqqi12@hotmail.com

Mr. Bokhari,
Can you little more clarify about the softwares you mentioned ie. DRB with Heartbeat ???????
I would like to know more about these softs

Share the Knowledge, make a master being a Master...
Best Regards,
SmartDude
More
18 years 2 months ago #15431 by jhun
hi to all,

would it be possible for you taqqi14 to post a howto or something similar with regards to the method you have mentioned and how were you able to go about achieving it? also links and resources would be very much appreciated as i am also currently in research about such technology. many thanks
More
18 years 1 month ago #16183 by taqqi14
Sorry for the late reply.

Ok about DRBD and HEartbeat .These 2 tools work together to achieve high availability solution with data replication .

www.drbd.org/
www.linux-ha.org/Heartbeat

Let me explain in detail...

DRBD is a block device which is designed to build high availability clusters. This is done by mirroring a whole block device via (a dedicated) network. You could see it as a network raid-1.

The above drbd website will give u the concept how it works and how heartbeat(tool to check the health of primary server so tht if its down its network configs ip etc will b borrowed by the hot standby secondary server making itself primary till the original machine is repaired ) integrates with DRBD to give u High avialability solution on linux platform.

For any further assistance u can ask any questions.

Taqqi14
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds