Skip to main content

Monitor the digital signal

More
18 years 4 months ago #14426 by maynard
Hi guys and girls!I may have a stupid question for you but do you know a way to monitor the digital signal of my modem?

Thanking you in advance!! :)
More
18 years 4 months ago #14429 by maynard
I need to clarify that I mean the digital signal my modem receives !
More
18 years 4 months ago #14433 by d_jabsd
If the modem is capable, you might be able to use snmp to monitor it.

It depends on the brand and model of the modem and whether you control it or your ISP controls it. If your ISP controls it, it is doubtful that you would be able to convince them to give you access to monitor it.
More
18 years 4 months ago #14446 by l0gic
If you're talking about the raw digital signal, you'd need some sort of oscilloscope (not cheap). Much more practical, however, would be running a packet sniffer such as Ethereal ( www.ethereal.com ) to monitor packets going out of and coming into the modem interface.
More
18 years 4 months ago #14450 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic modem and signal
just a simple question:
what kind of modem is it? is it a dialup modem. because unless i am absolutely wrong, the modem might be receiving analog signals which it converts to digital signal for your computer.

if it is an ADSL modem connected via ethernet or usb cable to your computer in that case it will be receiving voice and data signals which will be digital signals carried as a sinosoidal wave on a dc carrier wave. on ADSL broadband service you will have PPPoA carrying your signals in and out from your modem to your DSLAM at the exchange.
if it is a cable broadband then you will have normal digital cable tv type signals coming into your broadband cable modem from where it gets to your pc via ethernet cable or even usb again.

so you need to specify what kind of modem you want to monitor

Picking pebbles on the shore of the networking ocean
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds