Skip to main content

Setting up a small office network

More
14 years 8 months ago #33327 by sfcheb
Hi Guys,

I'm setting up a small office network for my wife, and looking for some advice, any help would appreciated. Here is what I have decided so far:

- Install Cat-6 wiring through out, have a contractor that will do this.
- Started looking at switchtes/routers, and things are getting a bit confusing on what to choose. I'm pretty sure I will go a gigabit switch.

Here is the criteria, I'm looking for:

- Easy for installation and trouble shooting problems.
- Fast connections to move images around between computers.
- Probably will need about 24 ports on the switch.

Here the questions that I have:

- Is it better to get an all in one, router-switch-firewall-vpn, like Linksys RV082 or should I go separate.

- Or go with a L3 switch, which they are very expensive. I don't know if they are worth it.

thanks in advance.
More
14 years 8 months ago #33329 by TheBishop
Your approach sounds reasonable given that you want a high-speed network for moving images around. I just wonder how many computers are you going to have in there? 24 ports seems a lot for a home office.
In answer to your specific questions:
Personally I'd go for a separate router and switch. That way you can get exactly what you want, it's easier to maintain and it probably won't be any more expensive. Plus if you decide to change your router you don't have to replace the whole thing as the switch is separate.
Secondly you won't need an L3 switch unless you are planning to have separate VLANs in your office which I can't see why you would need. Just go for a standard 24 or 48-port switch from a reputable manufacturer
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds