Skip to main content

Packet tracer questions

More
14 years 8 months ago #33275 by Thorondor
I'm trying to conect 2 routers to the same switch in Packet Tracer, for redundancy, is it possible? I don't need to have vlans ou something like that, but if someone found a way with vlans I wouldn't mind.

I think that Packet Tracer does not suport the "backup" comand, so I don't know what to do here. Any kind of help would be great.

Here's an image of what i'd like to have.

Here's an example file if a kind sould would like to show me the path :wink:

dl.dropbox.com/u/2337413/teste.pkt

Thanks in advance and sorry for my english!
More
14 years 8 months ago #33277 by Losh
Replied by Losh on topic Re: Packet tracer questions
I have just seen your packet tracer configuration. First you have to assign an ip address to the all the router interfaces that are connected to the switches. This will ensure that PCs on different networks can ping each other since you have already configured your rip routes. Two routers can be connected to one switch for redundancy but the best solution will be to connect them directly so as not to add more equipment to your configuration.
Remember that vlans cannot extend accross routers unless you want to configure VPNs.
I didnt get what exactly you want to accomplish so if you can frame your question in another way perhaps we can try. Your pkt configuration is ok though.

~ Networking :- Just when u think its starting to make sense......... ~
14 years 8 months ago #33282 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: Packet tracer questions
First, some minor fixes, the G9/0 on Router0 had an IP off the LAN. And some routers RIP did not advertise all subnets. So I fixed that, I also gave G2/0 of Router1 an IP. Although it's not used as a gateway on the LAN. Thats why I did not RIP advertise subnet 192.168.0.0 on this router. But you can. Here is the fixed file:

www.2shared.com/file/10521969/2fb603f0/teste_fixed.html

Second, I'm like Losh a bit not sure about what your trying to do. Yes, the backup command is not supported on PT I guess.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
14 years 8 months ago #33337 by broadcaststorm
Using a flat VLAN architecture gets around the most annoying PT issue for me which is that when you connect anything to a switch, DTP forms a static access link. Get right up my nose, and this may be part of the problem experienced here.
VLAN architecture will be supported in PT just like in real life by configuring the VLAN's on the switch and suitable sub interfaces on the routers.
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds