Skip to main content

Hosts...no subnets?

More
14 years 11 months ago #32412 by Leeds_Champion
ok, as I was typing out the subject for this topic, I think I figured the solution out myself lol

I have to accomodate 80 computers into 7 different rooms.

I was just wondering because up until now we always get given how many hosts and how many subnets are needed. In this question though, we are only told we have 80 computers.

Would each room be a subnet? So for example, I divide 80 by 7 (gives around 11). Meaning

Hosts in each room = 11 (approx)
Subnets = 7

Is that right, or I'm I way off? I've read the subnetting guide and understand it all, just not sure how to get started on this one
More
14 years 11 months ago #32413 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Re: Hosts...no subnets?
I think the first question is whether or not these rooms do need to be separate subnets or not. If they are just a set of rooms in one building for example I'd probably say no, unless they werefor seven separate companies or departments that need segregating from one another.
Assuming they do need to be separate subnets then you'd go through some logical exercise to find the maximum number of PCs that might be required in any one subnet. That number is what the hosts part of your subnet mask needs to accomodate. Once you know how many hosts bits you need to support the number of host PCs you want then working out the rest of the mask is easy
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds