Skip to main content

My networking assignment

More
15 years 6 months ago #29658 by network_noob
Replied by network_noob on topic The full thing

Above is question part of the coursework we have been give,
I made it a image so it wont be found too easy by my tutor, tho knowing my luck his probably the highest poster on this forum lol.

Below is the HUI's proposed topology.

Give me a minute to attach what I am trying to get to work in packet tracer,
It need Vlaning working and some VLSM's for top marks with Class A subnetting. (he said that to us as much as it didn't say it in the assignment and the mark scheme he wont let us have, lol

Many Thanks Once again :)
More
15 years 6 months ago #29659 by network_noob
Sorry about size of picture above, Will change it if any1 cares to moan at me :),

Packet Tracer File
www.sendspace.com/file/6zqix8
More
15 years 6 months ago #29660 by sose
Replied by sose on topic Re: My networking assignment
this should be a campus network

admin router pt(router0) 48 sys
sales router pt (router1) 48 sys
warehouse router pt (router1) 62 sys

router2 is hosting a switch containing only 2 servers and nothing else. that region

should be a demilitaralize zone DMZ( an isolated subnet for security reasons)

therefore

DMZ router2 2 host

the 3 routers are serially connected

observations

1. which router is the border router because the network should be connected to

other networks or internet

2 why so many routers: one firewall enabled cisco router at the border can

eliminate the other routers and can route for 158 sys. these routers cost money

you know. therefore other routers could be replaced with managed switches

3. your diagram is not drawn to scale, but anyway the routers could still be

replaces

4. construct VLAN for each department

5. we dont have the diagram for the other technician working for the company,

therefore we can fault the network.

6. server ratio 1:1 means one physical host to one virtual server. throught

virtualization both servers can be on one physical host that is server ratio 1:2
and that eliminates the cost of an extra hardware

7 you said
VLSMs for security measures and boast my marks to help get the distinction.

variable lenght subnet mask cant be for security measures but for IP aaddress reclamation

8. the choice of which class of address to use have now been overtaken by the discovery of VSLM, so a class c address with a /24 will give you what a class B address with a /24 will give( slash means the subnet mask 255.255.255.0)

It is important to note that this forum will not design a new project for you but rather raise critical issues based on what you have on ground. that means you have to first do some ground work, then we will raise observations
More
15 years 6 months ago #29663 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: My networking assignment
You might wana attack this in those steps. I'd try NOT to give straight answers but rather help you think ;)

Step 1. Logically subnet the departments you have.
You said you need a Class A network address. Even if you do that, you can still subnet the network with a /24, /25, /26... etc masks. Why?, because you said you want VLSM, and VLSM is classless. In otherwords, you can use any subnet mask as long your networks don't overlap.

So lets take the network say 10.1.1.0/24 (i.e 10.1.1.x). You obviously need to subnet that. The following are all possible subnet masks.

Borrowing 0 bits: gives a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 which gives you 1 network with 253 hosts
Borrowing 1 bits: gives a subnet mask of 255.255.255.128 which gives you 2 networks with 126 hosts each
Borrowing 2 bits: gives a subnet mask of 255.255.255.192 which gives you 4 networks with 62 hosts each
Borrowing 3 bits: gives a subnet mask of 255.255.255.224 which gives you 8 networks with 30 hosts each
Borrowing 4 bits: gives a subnet mask of 255.255.255.240 which gives you 16 networks with 14 hosts each
Borrowing 5 bits: gives a subnet mask of 255.255.255.248 which gives you 32 networks with 6 hosts each
Borrowing 6 bits: gives a subnet mask of 255.255.255.252 which gives you 64 networks with 2 hosts each

Q: Which subnet mask you would choose for the Warehouse (62 PCs)?

A: 255.255.255.192. Why? because choosing 255.255.255.224 or lower will not have enough hosts for you. And choosing 255.255.255.128 or higher will waste the number of hosts.

Q: Now you tell me which subnet mask you would choose for the Sales (48 PCs)? Hint: choose the best fit.

Now once you choose the subnet masks for all networks (including the 2 servers networks), you need to put a different network address for each of the networks. So the network bits need to be different for each. For example:

Warehouse: 10.1.1.0, mask: 255.255.255.192.
Net2: 10.1.1.64, mask 255.255.255.248
Net3: 10.1.1.72, mask 255.255.255.248
Net4: 10.1.1.76, mask 255.255.255.252

The above is NOT your answer ;) just an example. When you decode the above to binary you will see that each has a different network address and that they don't overlap. For more info I recommend reading here: www.firewall.cx/ip-subnetting-basic-concepts.php

Step 2: Physically define and layout the network.
The question only implies performance and costs issues. So I'd try to minimize the number of devices/switches/routers as much as possible. And reduce the number of links required to reach from,to any 2 points.

The minimum I could see is 3 switches, one for each department. And a 4th small switch for the two servers. All switches connected to a central router. Cisco switches usually come in either 24 or 48 ports. There are other higher ones but they cost more. The 2950 series for example supports VLANs. You could google for the prices.

For the Warehouse switch, if you can't find a single switch with 62 ports or more you could purchase two smaller switches and connect them via a trunk. The 2 servers small switch could be any brand with FastEthernet or better GigabitEthernet ports. There are further details here, but I'll leave that for you....

Step 3: Implement the configs
Tell us when you reach this point. If you need more help.

I hope this helps and does not confuse.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
15 years 6 months ago #29669 by network_noob
ahh brilliant thanks for all the help, I think I am beginning to under stand subnet masks allot better now. I've got some programming to do first and I will be going back to this bit of coursework in a bit.

BTW are any of you lot teachers? if not u should be cos you lot seem to explain everything so much better than how I am currently being taught. :) thx for all help
More
15 years 6 months ago #29670 by sose
Replied by sose on topic Re: My networking assignment
We are glad to be helpful. I dont want to sound arrogant but you cant go wrong when you come to firewall.cx
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds