16 years 2 months ago #26629 by harix
Could some one educate me if this causes a Network Loop

DLink Hub/Switch ==> SW1 (8 Port)

LAN Port
|
|
SW1

M1 M2 M3 M4 M5 M6

All Machine M1 to M6 are connected to the Switch which connects to the ---> LAN Port

SP1 ---> M1
SP2 ---> M2
SP3 ---> M3
SP4 ---> M4
SP5 ---> M5
SP6 ---> M6

Here in the switch 2 Ports are EMPTY / Not-connected....

If SP (Switch Port) 7 and SP8 are connected between then using an ethernet cable.. Would that cause a NETWORK LOOP?

SP7 <
> SP8

[/img][/code]
More
16 years 2 months ago #26634 by S0lo
First, For this cable to give you any activity at all, it has to be a "crossover" cable. Second, connecting the two ports in such a way is similar to connecting them to a single hub (since the hub is nothing but a repeater, just like a wire is). So if you have STP running on your switch the loop should be detected and one of the ports will be blocked. If STP is not running, then I think that this will cause a loop and you might have problems.

Thats as far as I know.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
16 years 2 months ago #26644 by harix
Thanks Much! :D
More
16 years 2 months ago #26650 by dfC
Yes this a loop.Most cheap switches does not have stp and its a matter of a few seconds to happen.I have tried it before and i got around 150.000 packets per second.
More
16 years 2 months ago #26676 by Chojin
I don't see why this would cause a loop.... (or you want to attach a cable to port 7 AND 8 ?? can be I get your question wrong)

Correct me if I'm wrong..
but with 2 switches, how can you create a network loop if you have them only connected by one cable?!

If you have :
[code:1]
[Switch]
| |
| |
[Switch]
[/code:1]

This could create a network loop...

or

[code:1]
[Switch]
| \
| \---[Switch]
| /
| /
| /
[Switch]
[/code:1]
Here STP is required to prevent loops..

Switch will forward broadcast traffic (default config) to all ports EXCEPT the port it came from...

CCNA / CCNP / CCNA - Security / CCIP / Prince2 / Checkpoint CCSA
More
16 years 2 months ago #26677 by TheBishop
S0lo is spot on. It would have to be a crossover cable to give you a conection between the ports (unless the switch ports have auto-crossover capability) and if you connected two ports in this way you would get a network loop unless you had spanning tree running to prevent it
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds