Skip to main content

VLAN, VTP question

More
16 years 4 months ago #26214 by nukoso
VLAN, VTP question was created by nukoso
Hey, i'm new to the concept of vlan and vtp.
I'm triyng to understand its uses and limitations, cause I'm working on my networking classes practices.
Now here's what I'm tring to do and where I'm stuck:
I'm wondering how (or even i it is possible) to manage wich ports of VTP client switches are assigned to a particular VLAN. I mean, let's suppose I have 3 VLAN in server switch, and a bunch of VTP client switches, and I want to assign port a, b, c from client 1 to VLAN 1 and ports p,q,r to VLAN 3; then in client 2 configure ports i,j to vlan 1 and x, y to VLAN 2, and so on...
Is that possible?, how do I make that port (or port range) "X" in switch "A" to VLAN "W" assignment?
More
16 years 4 months ago #26219 by toddwoo
Replied by toddwoo on topic Re: VLAN, VTP question
VTP only propagates vlan information to each switch, the individual switch ports are configured independently on each switch. VTP won't do it for you.
More
16 years 4 months ago #26222 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: VLAN, VTP question
Say you want to assign Fa0/1 to vlan 2. Do this:

[code:1]
Switch#conf t
Switch(config)#inter fa0/1
Switch(config-if)#switchport access vlan 2
Switch(config-if)#
[/code:1]

Thats all. Off course the fa0/1 should be in access mode. not trunk.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
16 years 4 months ago #26240 by skepticals
Replied by skepticals on topic Re: VLAN, VTP question
As previously stated, you can configure which ports are assigned to which VLAN using the code S0lo provided. If you are doing a large group like ports 1-20 look into the "range" command.

VTP will be the protocol that transfers the VLAN information from switch to switch.
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds