Skip to main content

remote access help?

More
16 years 4 months ago #25971 by acp79
remote access help? was created by acp79
Hi,

I'm trying to setup a my server so i could remote access it via ssh or rdp.

Background:

Internet connection: Cable internet, dhcp conection.
Server/OS: ubuntu box, no firewall or iptables installed.
My domain is from dyndns (free version)
seem properly config I could see it when a do a nslookup and ddclient seem ok. I have check the ip and its the external ip that my provider have that is configure in dyndns. i could ping the domain.ssh is setup fine since my local network could ssh on it.

Problem:

when a remote pc using a different isp or same isp but remote, it gets "connection refuse". seem its trying to tell that my ssh is not running or being block by firewall or my isp.

How can I verify if my isp blocks ssh with out calling there helpdesk? or if Im missing some config like having a port forwarding in my server?. Im directly connected to the modem they provided.

Thanks,
More
16 years 4 months ago #25972 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: remote access help?
I've been through the same road. I also had problems first but it finally worked. Did it for a web server (port 80 and other few ports).

First, Configure the modem/router to forward traffic for the SSH port (22 or any other port) to your server. This is usually called an "Application Server" or "Game Server" in the modem web interface.

Second, Is your modem/router (Or PC) configured to update your dyndns correctly? So that when you login to your dyndns account do you see the updates for IP being done? It will show the date and time.

Third, It's better to assign a static internal IP for your server instead of dhcp. Or you can even configure your modem/router to always give the SAME internal IP to your server. This way you avoid delays or problems caused by changing IPs.

Even if your ISP has a firewall that blocks port 22. You can simply change to any other unknown port. It should work, change it in your server and modem/router.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds