Skip to main content

Logical Topology Question

More
17 years 4 months ago #21414 by alanoreilly
Hi,

I wonder if anyone out there can answer me on the following. It is my understanding that if u are using a physical star topology with an unintelligent hub, messages are broadcasted to every node in that broadcast area, and this means the Logical topology is a 'Bus'.
However these days Physical Star setups use intelligent switches that allows messages to be routed to the appropriate destination port so no broadcasting occurs (unless the switch is not aware of the destination address). In this situation what is the Logical topology (or what protocol is behind the switch) ?
More
17 years 4 months ago #21417 by toddwoo
When using any kind of switch or hub, you are typically not using a Bus topology. A bus topology would be ethernet IEEE 802.3 over coax where every device was on 1 wire inline.

When using an intelligent switch you are typically using a star topology.

media access control (MAC) would be the protocol responsable for saying what goes where on layer 2.

That what you were looking for?
More
17 years 4 months ago #21418 by Smurf
Replied by Smurf on topic Re: Logical Topology Question
Pretty bang on;

Physical Topology - Is how devices/nodes are physically connected through the medium (Switch/Hub). In this case its a Star Phyiscal Topology
Logical Topology - Is how it appears to be connected by the user. In the case of the Switch/Hub, generally it is said to have a logical topology of a Bus.

Take a look here

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds