Skip to main content

Ping reply works but request doesn't

More
17 years 10 months ago #17906 by Patchi
In Packet Tracer 4, Lab file "6c1_CE15_nat.pka" under the CCNA4 folder.

After doing the lab perfectly, The last question asks:

Why can you not ping from the Ext Web Server to an inside host, but you can ping from an internal host to the Ext Web Server?

I've tried every idea to figure it out but couldn't. Any one know why this is happening
More
17 years 10 months ago #17930 by jhun
hhmm i'm only guessing but would it be correct that the probable reason why you can't ping from an external server to an internal host is because of the routing involved? ext. server uses routable ip addresses while internal host under a LAN uses private ip addressing schemes which are non-routable.
usually, internal hosts within LAN "hide" behind a public ip address via their gateway wherein most of the times involves the application of NAT (Network Address Translation). unless specified, pinging from ext server to an internal host would be difficult as it does not know where to send packets to. while pinging from the internal host to the ext server would be possible as it knows where to send/receive packets via the gateway.

please correct me if i'm wrong.
More
17 years 10 months ago #17940 by Patchi
Yup, I think your right. When an internal host pings the ISP, NAT gives the packets a different source IP address and sends them, so the ISP ruoter won't have trouble sending the replys back because it's the destination IP is already on a connected network.

But when the external hosts try to ping the internals, the ISP router will not know what to do with these packets becouse of the destination IP address that are not part of the routing table subnets of the ISP.
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds