Skip to main content

3com SuperStack VLAN Switching help

More
18 years 4 months ago #14606 by LordThundering
Hey Guys,
i'm near desperation right now.

I got a 3com SuperStack 3226 running here, and i want to create multiple VLANs on it.
Pretty simple setup.

Now, i created a test VLAN, and set up an Interface in it (192.168.1.1, netmask /24). my default VLAN is 192.168.0.0/24, with an interface at ip 192.168.0.6
now, assigning an ip (192.168.1.2) to a pc connected to the test-VLAN, i can ping nothing besides the two interfaces on the switch.

The interfaces are set up as primarys. I don't have any special routes enabled or anything, just the default stuff that came with the interfaces.

Do i need anything more to get this working?
Am i missing something obvious?

Thanks!
More
18 years 4 months ago #14607 by DaLight
Welcome to firewall.cx, LordThundering. The 3com 3226 is a layer 2 switch and as such you will not be to route between both VLANs unless you employ the use of an external router. You could also use a layer 3 switch which by definition possesses routing capabilities. Check out out the section in our on-site VLAN tutorial on InterVLAN Routing for a more detailed treatment of the topic.
More
18 years 4 months ago #14612 by LordThundering
Dalight, thanks for the reply,
but i've never ever seen a layer 2 switch with support for routes, Rip and the like. the 3226 is a layer 3 switch, as seen here:
www.3com.com/products/en_US/detail.jsp?p...&sku=3CR17500-91
More
18 years 4 months ago #14623 by TheBishop
Hello LordThundering and welcome
I've downloaded the manual for the switch and it does indeed claim to have the Layer 3 facilities to route between VLANs. From your post it sounds like what you have done so far (correct me if i'm wrong) is to create two VLANs with two different IP network ranges. So far, so good, but now you need to enable some sort of routing between them. Easiest way to do this would be to set up static routes. Tha manual says you can do this by going to 'protocol' then 'ip' then 'route' then 'add' under the command line menu structure. Try setting up routes there to enable the intercommunication that you want and let us know how it goes.
More
18 years 4 months ago #14624 by DaLight
Sorry LordThundering, my mistake. I have a 4226T which is a layer 2 device and somehow got that confused with the 3226. The Bishop's advice is the way to go with this.
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds