Skip to main content

A simple dual head firewall --???????

More
19 years 7 months ago #7084 by shantu
Hi,
first of all am new in IT.
On your home page under the Topic Firewalls>> Firewall topologies>>>> Introduction > A sinple Dual-homed Firewall

there in a map drawing that shows Firewall....
My question is what type of firewall is expressed here??
Is it a Router that has inbuilt firewall or is it a Normal Workstation with third party firewall installed / Win XP SP-2 Firewall enabled.

At my home i have Broad band cable connection whose cable goes into my Wireless Router( Netgear wg 624 108mbps) and then i have 2 pc's connnecte wirelessly to this router to share internet.
My router currently has all the default settings enabled ( which makes it practically unsafe) I just read today about securing wireless network, so i will try to impliment it tonight.

Should i buy a switch ( connecting one side with router port and the other side to switch and connecting all pc's to this switch).

Any advice is highly appreciated.
Thanx,
Shantu
Austria
More
19 years 7 months ago #7111 by jhun
hi

as for your first question, it is either a hardware or software based firewall that is depicted on the illustration. i believe that chris likes to put things in great perspectives so that learning could be both interesting and fun. :)

for your next question, if your wireless router has some built in security features (WEP, WPA, etc.) try to configure them so that it is able to suit your needs. also with regards to your switch question, your wireless router seems to support this (it has built in switch ports) and if you have no plans in expanding your home network, the buil in ports would be just fine and no need to purchase additional switches..

hope this helps....

:)
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds