Skip to main content

Does anyone use 802.1X?

More
14 years 8 months ago #33331 by FlipRich
I'm working on my CCNA Security exam and I came across the subject of 802.1X port level authentication. It may just be me, but does anyone think that this type of security may be a little overkill? Does anyone in the field know of any organizations or companies that actually have this type of security implemented in their network?

Just wondering..

Rich
Network Engineer /CCNP, CCNA-S
Tallahassee, FL
More
14 years 8 months ago #33335 by r0nni3
Replied by r0nni3 on topic Re: Does anyone use 802.1X?
Yea I implemented it once for a company. It's not overkill imo. You can also configure in which VLAN the users will be put based on their login information/certificate.

Currently working as Cisco Engineer at Neon-Networking.

Certifications:
CCNA - Have it
CCNA Security - Have it
CCSP - Almost!!!!
CCIE Security - Not so far away dream
More
14 years 8 months ago #33336 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: Does anyone use 802.1X?
You can also use it in wireless access points that supports it. They use WPA which can use 802.1X to overcome the security issues found in WEP.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
14 years 8 months ago #33341 by TheBishop
I've done it too; more common than you might think
More
14 years 8 months ago #33368 by egeier
Replied by egeier on topic Free 802.1X/RADIUS service
If you want to mess around with 802.1X, check out AuthenticateMyWiFi from NoWiresSecurity: www.nowiressecurity.com . They offer free and paid subscriptions to their outsourced RADIUS servers.
More
14 years 8 months ago #33385 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Re: Does anyone use 802.1X?
I've also implemented 802.1x at a couple of customer and I recon its an awesome service to provide. I actually used it with a Microsoft IAS (Internet Access Server) which played the role of a radius server and integrated the user authentication with Active Directory. Worked like a charm on both physical switches and access points.

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds