Skip to main content

I need some advice.

More
17 years 6 months ago #20181 by twdo
I need some advice. was created by twdo
I personally manage a few dedicated Windows servers at a couple of different hosting companies. All servers are Windows Server 2003 Enterprise. I do not use the built in Windows firewall because of the lack of control over the thing. Lately, I have been getting a few dictionary attacks on the database server. I want to be able to block IP addresses whenever I need. So, I am looking for the best, FREE software firewall that is best suited for my types of needs. I only want something that will block obvious threats or have the ability to turn off automatic blocking. Basically, I need someone to suggest the best freeware, software firewall that has IP blocking capabilities. Thanks in advance.
More
17 years 6 months ago #20182 by Smurf
Replied by Smurf on topic Re: I need some advice.
This seems a little odd. Do you not already have the servers behind a firewall already ? I find it a little odd that anyone would attach Windows servers directly to the Internet, especially if its for hosting companies. I also find it hard to believe that you are after free Firewall capabilities if you are using these servers for a hosting company, surely you want something that is purchased in order to get proper support on the product should anything go wrong.

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
17 years 6 months ago #20183 by twdo
Replied by twdo on topic Re: I need some advice.

This seems a little odd. Do you not already have the servers behind a firewall already ? I find it a little odd that anyone would attach Windows servers directly to the Internet, especially if its for hosting companies. I also find it hard to believe that you are after free Firewall capabilities if you are using these servers for a hosting company, surely you want something that is purchased in order to get proper support on the product should anything go wrong.

never said i was doing the hosting...

nevermind
More
17 years 6 months ago #20192 by Smurf
Replied by Smurf on topic Re: I need some advice.

I personally manage a few dedicated Windows servers at a couple of different hosting companies.

Sorry bout confussion, this first line sort of suggests that the Windows servers you want the firewall for are being used by "Hosting Companies".

Nevermind :wink:

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
17 years 6 months ago #20320 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: I need some advice.
Well I would go with smoothwall ( www.smoothwall.org ) or ipcop ( www.ipcop.org ) which are essentially from the same codebase.

The basic idea is you wanted a software firewall... which these are. However it's a good idea to keep the firewall isolated from the host itself. Single point of failure and all that.

These firewalls are ultra easy to setup and you can use the oldest bit of hardware you have lying around.

If you browse the security forum you'll find lots of people discussing their configuration.

Cheers,

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds