Skip to main content

Reg: Blocking Yahoo messanger in firewall

More
18 years 3 months ago #15070 by d_jabsd

Its only an Idea, I dont know if it even works, I have no time to test it, so if you have time, try it, conceptually it must.

It works. I had to do it at my last job. Personally, I'm against it, but I'm an admin so it is just another tool for finding info I want (firends give good insight when google searches come up empty). Luckily, I was the one who built the network from the ground up, so the admin team was not limited at all, but the rest of the company had some restrictions.
More
18 years 3 months ago #15083 by havohej
Hi d_jabsd.

What about network performance? and router cpu cycles?? I mean, it works, but by a cost, that the router must examine every packet, at layer 7, so it adds little extra overhead or delay, so my question is, if it is performed in a production network, are users noticing delays, or you as an admin noticing high cpu proc in the router??
More
18 years 3 months ago #15085 by d_jabsd
In our case, performance didn't take much of a hit, but we didn't have that much traffic flowing through the routers. I also limited the the check to NAT address of the regular users, so most of the traffic wasn't checked.

Since they are designed for this type traffic policing, I wouldn't think it would overload the router, but it really depends on everything you have going on.
More
17 years 7 months ago #19793 by zillah

I block Yahoo, ICQ, AIM and MSN via DNS. Each program connects to a FQDN in the settings. Add dummy records to your internal DNS server so when the person attemtps to connect it routes them to a dead IP.

I like this idea , and I want to try it, could you please give more details and share with us any experience that might you had

Regards
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds