Skip to main content

checkpoint firewall log file issue

More
18 years 10 months ago #11436 by allan
A client calls me to check firewall logs to verify that his traffic is passing through a CheckPoint firewall. The firewall is CheckPoint NG FP3 running on solaris. The Management server is down because the unix team is applying patches to the management server. How do I check the logs on the firewall?
More
18 years 10 months ago #11454 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Checkpoint logs
The logs are held in a /log subdirectory beneath your main firewall directory, but I don't think you can just read them. I've only been on the basic FW1 admin course, but the instructor mentioned that there are a ton of command-line utilities that you can use directly on the enforcement module and I'm sure I remember reading the logs being mentioned. A trawl of the manuals might turn up what you need. Alternatively, could you copy the file out and read it using a different management console?
More
18 years 10 months ago #11461 by allan
thanks a lot, BTW, I'm some of confusion that the following commands
cpstart, cpstop, fwstart, fwstop, fw fetch, fwm load, fwm unload

which commands are working on the enforcement module (checkpoit) and which are working on the smartcenter server (console)?
More
18 years 10 months ago #11488 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Commands
I've sent you some notes on the command line commands in a PM
More
18 years 10 months ago #11633 by tiamat
'fw log -f' will log to the screen. You may also want to add '-n' to not resolve names. Ctrl-C to break out of it.

as for the commands you listed, most of them will work on both enforcement module and smartcenter, with the exception of the 'fwm' commands (the 'm' for management). If you try to run an 'fwm' command on an enforcement module, it will tell you that it's not a mangement server, and just error out.
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds