Skip to main content

Its a cable nightmare - Which tracer?

More
14 years 8 months ago #33311 by The_Tango
Looking for suggestions - I have six rj45 network cables coming into a media closet (three not plugged in) - ten cables at a router (five plugged in and working) and five not plugged in.

I would like to find out which cables go where from the router, some may go to other parts of house. Who ever did the wiring didn't label anything (not my house).

Since all the cables I see have plugs on them is there a tracer/tester that will allow the cables to be plugged in at one end and found at the other end.

Cost matters - one time use for a friend.

Thanks
More
14 years 8 months ago #33313 by S0lo
Yes there is. You can you use a "Cable Locator" like these:

www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_250602...d=KDx20070926x00003a

www.thenerds.net/IDEAL.IDEAL_Tone_Genera...ci_sku=33864^~^IDEAL

Composed of two pieces. One (the square like) plugged into one end and generates a tone. The other piece is a probe that can sense the tone when it's needle is placed on the cable, the tone is converted to a buzzing/beeping sound that you can hear to find the cable.

Make sure you get one that has an RJ45 jack.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
14 years 8 months ago #33319 by The_Tango
Would something like the Trendnet TC-NT2 work? Since the wires ahve connectors on both ends.

Thanks
More
14 years 8 months ago #33322 by S0lo
Yes it will work but if you use it without a probe (the TC-TP1), you will have to connect the 2nd side to each and every cable until you find the one. Since the cables are few then I don't think it will be a problem. But if you had more than like 50 cables it can become tedious.

There is another cheaper idea if you want. First disconnect all PCs/devices from the wall connections (while keeping the switch side connected). Then take a laptop, connect it to the first node, go the switch and check what led port goes up. You got the first one. Connect the laptop to the second node, go to the switch, check the port. And so on until you do all nodes. Does this make any sense?

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds