Skip to main content

XP, Airport and Wireless

More
14 years 8 months ago #33230 by Nightmare
Hello Forum,

I just came up to Connecticut to visit my girlfriend's dad, who lives with her brother.

Her brother has a network set up using an Airport Base, her dad has two laptops: one XP machine and one Vista machine. The Vista machine picks up the wireless just fine, however the XP machine which apparently had connected wirelessly before hasn't do ne so for some time. I've tried a few things, the Airport is broadcasting on channel 2, so that should be fine. I tried downloading the WPA2 Hotfix for XP, but it said the something about the Service Pack and that the update was unnecessary. I also tried downloading a new wireless driver for his internal wireless device. (Which is an Atheros AR5004G) If there's any extra information I can provide, feel free to ask. I just want to get him running wireless before I go back next week. haha I'm going to keep cracking at it, any help is appreciated though. Thanks!
More
14 years 8 months ago #33263 by Nightmare
Anyone..?
More
14 years 8 months ago #33265 by next_virus
I am also facing the same problem at my office. I have installed both ubuntu and XP on my Laptop. On ubuntu the wireless network works perfectly, while on XP it didn't.
More
14 years 8 months ago #33266 by Nightmare
I think I figured out that the problem is his wireless card doesn't have the proper encryption. I need to get it to WPA2-PSK encryption, but I can't find an update on Atheros or anything to make the card capable of that kind of encryption. Does anyone have experience with Atheros and know where I can get an update for AR5004G card to get WPA2-PSK??
More
14 years 8 months ago #33272 by next_virus
let me know if this resolved. Also the procedure.
More
14 years 7 months ago #33688 by Nightmare
My end result was that his wireless card was just too old and there were no available drivers to make it handle that sort of encryption. He had to purchase a new wireless card and then it worked fine. So that may be your problem.

I would however check which channel the AEBS is broadcasting on as well.
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds