Skip to main content

Put my PC in two vlans.

More
14 years 9 months ago #32909 by Ivanwarwick
Hi

I have a 3Com network with a mixture of 4400 / 4900 & 5500 and have various port based vlans already running quite happily. I would like the ability to get on to one of these vlan from my default vlan to run some maintenance. The question I am asking is can I put my pc in two vlans ie my default vlan and one other?
More
14 years 9 months ago #32912 by sose
Replied by sose on topic Re: Put my PC in two vlans.
you dont actually place PCs in vlan rather you place ports in different vlans. by default all ports are in the default vlan, and when you move it to another vlan you can find it in the default vlan. when creating vlans you assign IP adresses to them so that you can manage them.
More
14 years 9 months ago #32913 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: Put my PC in two vlans.

The question I am asking is can I put my pc in two vlans ie my default vlan and one other?

Typically no, you can't. Since a switch port can be assigned to only one VLAN, the connected PC follows the same rule. The only way I can think of this is to connect your PC to a TRUNK port on the switch and some how let your PC send vlan tags (dot1q). This is not easy, you need a software tool or some thing.

The other straight forward way is to simply install two NICs on your PC and connect them to two ports having two different VLANs.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
14 years 9 months ago #32941 by Ivanwarwick

The question I am asking is can I put my pc in two vlans ie my default vlan and one other?

Typically no, you can't. Since a switch port can be assigned to only one VLAN, the connected PC follows the same rule. The only way I can think of this is to connect your PC to a TRUNK port on the switch and some how let your PC send vlan tags (dot1q). This is not easy, you need a software tool or some thing.

The other straight forward way is to simply install two NICs on your PC and connect them to two ports having two different VLANs.

Thanks S0lo this is most helpful.
I’m creating a separate network for 1 server plus 80 PCs which in turn are running 80 large LCD screens and for reasons to long to explain I need to give them a static IP address. The two NIC cards you suggested is a good idea and is something I considered, however I’m a little confused as to how it would work if these 80 PCs were in the same IP address range as my default network. If I had two NICs in a PC would it not act like a bridge connecting the two networks together so exposing the separate Vlan to the Default Vlan or is it only the PC with the two NICs that would see the both networks. Maybe I would need to readdress the 80 PCs to be outside the default address and subnet. What do you think?
More
14 years 9 months ago #32945 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: Put my PC in two vlans.
Your most welcome Ivanwarwick :)

If I had two NICs in a PC would it not act like a bridge connecting the two networks together so exposing the separate Vlan to the Default Vlan or is it only the PC with the two NICs that would see the both networks. Maybe I would need to readdress the 80 PCs to be outside the default address and subnet. What do you think?

No it won't act like a bridge (or router) because by default routing between NICs is disabled in Windows. (Unless you have configured "Routing and Remote Access" server in a Windows server). So normally, only the PC with the two NICs is directly connected to both networks. So you give one NIC an IP/mask in the first network, and the other NIC an IP/mask in the second network. But there should be only ONE gateway set, either on the first or the second NIC, NOT both.

By the way, we might help better if you explain to us what exactly your trying to do here. For example, if your trying to reach a device by IP which is on a different network than your admin PC, then you don't necessarily need 2 NICs. You can connect the two networks via a router and hence reach any IP on both networks.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
14 years 9 months ago #32947 by Ivanwarwick

Your most welcome Ivanwarwick :)

If I had two NICs in a PC would it not act like a bridge connecting the two networks together so exposing the separate Vlan to the Default Vlan or is it only the PC with the two NICs that would see the both networks. Maybe I would need to readdress the 80 PCs to be outside the default address and subnet. What do you think?

No it won't act like a bridge (or router) because by default routing between NICs is disabled in Windows. (Unless you have configured "Routing and Remote Access" server in a Windows server). So normally, only the PC with the two NICs is directly connected to both networks. So you give one NIC an IP/mask in the first network, and the other NIC an IP/mask in the second network. But there should be only ONE gateway set, either on the first or the second NIC, NOT both.

By the way, we might help better if you explain to us what exactly your trying to do here. For example, if your trying to reach a device by IP which is on a different network than your admin PC, then you don't necessarily need 2 NICs. You can connect the two networks via a router and hence reach any IP on both networks.

Thanks that is what I was after I will set up another NIC and manage the network like that. I could set up a router and as you advised, but it would be a little more expensive. Thanks for the advice much appreciated.
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds