Skip to main content

cannot get 100Mbps on LAN

More
15 years 2 months ago #30880 by neelgiri46
Hi all,

I am unable to connect all my computers (10 in all) @100Mbps. It connects only if I force 10-full. Does not accept auto mode or even if I force 100-full. Have visited many other websites but no permanent solution... was recommended to this site saying it is the best..... my final hope to find a solution ....

Setup info:
Have 10 Winxp Prof computers connected to a 10/100 switch (Netgear) (wired) and the switch is further connected to a router- (D-link) that supports 10/100. Average distance from switch to computers is approx 20-25 meters. Using cat5 cables.

Wonder where the problem lies????
- cabling
- hardware
- software (drivers, OS)

Would deeply appreciate any help.....

Thanx in advance

Amit
More
15 years 2 months ago #30890 by sys-halt
hi neelgiri46, I think you should check the following:
1. Go to your computers manufacturer and check if your PCs model number have network cards that support 10/100 Speed.

this basic step is just to make you confident for future reference that your PCs NICs do actually support a full duplex 10/100

2. Test your cables please. cables can introduce such slow network performance and can simply degrade your LAN speed.

I would suggest to get to a reputable computer dealer and buy a decent patch cable like 3 or 5 meters long that does support 10/100 or even get a cat6 cable and just simply plug the patch cable to a PC then to a switch and see. this could help you to see if there is a problem in the cable type you are currently using.

I am not sure if you have a cable tester equipment. I have fluke cable tester that is great in detecting network cable support speed and if any corrupted, damaged or miss crammed cable.

3. the switch could be a bottleneck problem also. if you can borrow a trusted switch that will support the required speed and plug it instead the one you are using.

4. Windows and drivers could do such problem too. even a low cost cheap network cards can do the same problem too.

I am not sure if your NICs are built-in into the motherboard or a PCI slot type. please check the NICs if they are PCI slots if they can support a 10/100 speed truly.

sometimes I use the basic troubleshooting commands like ping.

just do a ping between 2 PCs and check the time taken for each ping and if there is a request timeout between the replied pings. this might lead to a bad cable probably or a switch ports problem.

I do not know if there is a right or wrong answer for such problems. I do a checklist and start troubleshooting always at the physical layer.

there are other good programs that measure your network speed for uploading and download speed from your PCs to your server. But you should first think low and start doing some physical layer troubleshoot.

good luck.
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds