Skip to main content

CISCO AP 1200 AS A ACCESS POINT

More
15 years 4 months ago #30253 by perfectionmonkey
Have a linksys WRT54GC as my router and the Cisco AP1200 as an access point. I need a way to change DNS servers on the router or access point. I know you can do it in windows but i'm looking for a way to do it on the router or AP. In the router i only get the option to set DNS if i set up the configuration manually (IP, subnet, etc) but when I do that I don't get a connection for some reason. Has to be DHCP'd. Since i'm using the AP1200, is there a way to setup DNS through that so when I connect to that AP my problem would be solved?
More
15 years 4 months ago #30260 by S0lo
First, I assume here that the Cisco AP1200 is connected to an Ethernet port on the WRT54GC. And that the AP1200 is acting as a switch not a router.

Your queston: You need your PCs to automatically get the DNS's IP via DHCP. Your getting the IP/netmask/gateway right but NOT the DNS server's IP. Is that write?

If all of the above is correct, Then I guess that your running DHCP service on the AP1200 not on the WRT54GC, Am I right?. If so, I'd try first to disable DHCP server on the Cisco AP1200 (command: no service dhcp) and to run it on the WRT54GC because it is the one getting the DNS server's IP from your ISP.

If you really need to run the DHCP server on the AP1200 (for some reason). Then you could try this command on the AP1200 :

[code:1]R1(dhcp-config)# dns-server <primary-dns> <secondary-dns>[/code:1]

Replace <primary-dns> <secondary-dns> with there IPs from your ISP. This will tell the DHCP server to send those DNS IPs to your clients.

I hope that I did not assume too much here. If so, explain with more details.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds